Skip to main content

My impression of Google I/O 2016

I have not yet had a chance to attend this event but I just watched it on Youtube as usual. :)
  • Google Assistant
You might be very familiar to Google Now if you're Android fan. I saw that Google Assistant is like an upgrade to Google Now. It looks smarter because we are able to make a conversation with Google rather than just saying "Ok Google" and getting the tasks done as Google Now. That means Google Assistant can understand our personal words in our contexts.

For example:

I: Who is Google CEO?
Google: Sundar Pichai
I: Show me his awards  => Here I don't need to say "Show me Sundar Pichai awards", because I don't know to pronounce his name correctly. :)

I am thinking about that we can compare Google Assistant to Siri of Apple.
  • Google Home
At Google I/O 2015 last year, Sundar mentioned about working on a exciting project with Internet of Things and I think Google Home is a result. Working with Google Assistant, Google home is a very smart and modern device in order to communicate with others such as lights, radio, TV to help us get tasks done with our voice.
  • Two new messaging apps: Allo and Dou
    1. Allo: We can chat with a resident chatbot. I am thinking about the slackbot of Slack. :)
    2. Dou: It is a video calling app but the thing special here is that we can see preview (the faces of who calling) before starting the conversation.
  • Some improvement for OS: Android N
From this generation of Android, it cares of security with encrypting data and checking security for apps in Google Play. It also supports multi-tasking - I saw it is the same way with iOS.
  • Daydream a new platform for Virtual Reality
Using both headset and controller - look like a remote for TVs. :)
  • Android wear 2.0 updates
I can't imagine more that a watch can do too many things with AdroidWear such as messaging, taking note and keep track health.
  • Android studio 2.2
Automatically generating test code! Java 8 support.
  • Instant apps 
Running apps without downloading!
  • Firebase
Just heard that it is a developer platform innovation. I still  have no idea. Let's explore it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Multiple Inheritance of State and Implementation

Today, I was just curious about why an enum can not extend anything else. I took a look on the Oracle document here , and I found the answer is below: "All enums implicitly extend java.lang.Enum. Because a class can only extend one parent (see Declaring Classes), the Java language does not support multiple inheritance of state (see Multiple Inheritance of State, Implementation, and Type), and therefore an enum cannot extend anything else." I have been learned of it before. But, wait a sec...! Why Java does not support multiple inheritance of state? Since I have worked with other programming languages like C++, I was able to make a class extend some other classes. The short answer is to avoid the issues of multiple inheritance of state .  I wonder if other programming languages have these below terms but Java does. Multiple inheritance of state It is the ability to inherit fields from multiple classes. There is a problem and Java avoids it. "For exa...

Performance of a Data Structure

Why data structures matter The fact is that programs are all about processing data. Data structures are referred to how data is organized which affects the time of executing a program. How to measure the performance of a data structure In order to measure "how fast"/efficiency/performance of a data structure, we measure the performance of its operations. There are four basic operations including reading , searching , insertion , and deletion . A pure time consuming is not used for the measuring because it is not reliable depending on the hardware that it is run on. But instead, we use the term time complexity which refers to how many steps an operation takes. An example of how a single rule can affect efficiency Let's compare two data structures: Array and Set (with N elements). 1. Array - Reading : 1 step (because the computer has the ability to jump to any particular index in the array) - Searching : N steps (the worst case with linear search) - Inserti...

Using Drools to Dynamically Manipulate Metadata of JSF Components

The post is just an approach to change metadata (e.g maxlength, required, etc) of JSF components (e.g. inputText, selectOneMenue, etc) by Drools. Project structure Tools being used Java version 1.8.0_131 Apache Maven 3.5.0 Apache Tomcat 8.0.16 Don't forget to configure your confidential information on  these following files: pom.xml, settings.xml (Maven) and tomcat-users.xml (Tomcat). For example: Source code https://github.com/vnnvanhuong/java_lab/tree/master/jsfdrools

4 Remarkable Notes for JSF Apps Using HTML5

In the previous post , I've already shared with you how my team consults clients by using a HTML prototype. This post is about the used technologies for reusing the provided HTML template and communicating with backend. What is the issue when using HTML elements with Primefaces components? Primefaces is a great extension for developing JSF web apps. However, it is really frustrating in case we have to make it work with an existing HTML template. Why? - Primefaces has its own theme for styling. - Primefaces changes the HTML structure. Therefore, that would be a huge effort to use the Primefaces' components to replicate the elements of the HTML template; especially it is impossible for images drawing by " canvas " tag. That requires us to find a better approach. Since Java EE 7 (introducing JSF 2.2 included), it supports to use HTML5 elements . The idea is that JSF components don't effect the style and HTML structure, so we can easily reuse the provided HTM...

Monday vhandit #2

  Introduction to OpenLDAP directory service "A directory is a specialized database specially designed for searching and browsing, in addition to supporting basic lookup and update functions" A directory service can be local, providing a restricted context; or global, providing service to a much broader context. Curlie is a good example of a directory service. LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) is a protocol for accessing directory services , specifically X.500-based directory services. OpenLDAP is an open-source implementation of LDAP. Writing system software: code comments I have read Clean Code (by Uncle Bob) and I thought that I should void comments since the code it explains its implementation itself. That is right but not always true. In this post, the author categorized the comments into 9 types. Only "trivial comments" and "backup comments" are the ones that should be avoided. I myself agree with "writing good comments is harder tha...