Skip to main content

Make simple music program with beep(freq, duration) with Pascal

Pascal is my first programing language when I have studied in high school. It was really exciting for me. :)

The Pascal programming language was created by Niklaus Wirth in 1970. It was named after Blaise Pascal, a famous French Mathematician. It was made as a language to teach programming and to be reliable and efficient. Pascal has since become more than just an academic language and is now used commercially.

I tried to make a simple music program by using Lazarus IDE on MS Window 7, 64-bit. It frustrated me a few times how difficulty to use Sound command to make a sound. Sound did not work on my compiler and my platform anymore. So far, I just could use beep(freq, duration) from window unit to implement my work.

Here is my code. ;)
program mysong;

uses
   Windows,
   crt;
const
  C: Integer = 512;    { x = A * EXP(LN(2)/12)}
  C_: Integer = 542;
  D: Integer = 574;
  D_: Integer = 608;
  E: Integer = 644;
  F: Integer = 682;
  F_: Integer = 723;
  G: Integer = 766;
  G_: Integer = 812;
  A: Integer = 860;
  A_: Integer = 911;
  B: Integer = 965;

  WHITE: Integer = 1600;        {x = B/2}
  BLACK: Integer =  800;
  SINGLE: Integer = 400;
  DOUBLE: Integer = 200;
  TRIPLE: Integer = 100;

procedure play(freq,duration: Integer);
begin
     Windows.Beep(freq,duration);
end;
begin
   { A Time For US }
   Clrscr;
   play(A, SINGLE);
   play(C*2, SINGLE);
   play(B, SINGLE);
   play(E, BLACK + SINGLE);

   play(E, SINGLE);
   play(G, SINGLE);
   play(E, SINGLE);
   play(A, BLACK + SINGLE);

   play(A, SINGLE);
   play(G, SINGLE);
   play(F, SINGLE);
   play(G, BLACK + SINGLE);

   play(G, SINGLE);
   play(F, SINGLE);
   play(E, SINGLE);
   play(D, BLACK + SINGLE);

   play(E, DOUBLE);
   play(D, DOUBLE);
   play(C, SINGLE);
   play(D, SINGLE);
   play(E, BLACK + SINGLE);

end. 

I just chose frequency's Do note is 512. Next, I inferred the frequency of other notes by "afterNote = beforeNote * EXP(LN(2)/12)".

Reference:
[1]. http://kon-phum.com/tutors/pascal/programming_pascal_learn01.html
[2]. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23249175/how-to-use-sound-in-pascal

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Multiple Inheritance of State and Implementation

Today, I was just curious about why an enum can not extend anything else. I took a look on the Oracle document here , and I found the answer is below: "All enums implicitly extend java.lang.Enum. Because a class can only extend one parent (see Declaring Classes), the Java language does not support multiple inheritance of state (see Multiple Inheritance of State, Implementation, and Type), and therefore an enum cannot extend anything else." I have been learned of it before. But, wait a sec...! Why Java does not support multiple inheritance of state? Since I have worked with other programming languages like C++, I was able to make a class extend some other classes. The short answer is to avoid the issues of multiple inheritance of state .  I wonder if other programming languages have these below terms but Java does. Multiple inheritance of state It is the ability to inherit fields from multiple classes. There is a problem and Java avoids it. "For exa...

Using Drools to Dynamically Manipulate Metadata of JSF Components

The post is just an approach to change metadata (e.g maxlength, required, etc) of JSF components (e.g. inputText, selectOneMenue, etc) by Drools. Project structure Tools being used Java version 1.8.0_131 Apache Maven 3.5.0 Apache Tomcat 8.0.16 Don't forget to configure your confidential information on  these following files: pom.xml, settings.xml (Maven) and tomcat-users.xml (Tomcat). For example: Source code https://github.com/vnnvanhuong/java_lab/tree/master/jsfdrools

4 Remarkable Notes for JSF Apps Using HTML5

In the previous post , I've already shared with you how my team consults clients by using a HTML prototype. This post is about the used technologies for reusing the provided HTML template and communicating with backend. What is the issue when using HTML elements with Primefaces components? Primefaces is a great extension for developing JSF web apps. However, it is really frustrating in case we have to make it work with an existing HTML template. Why? - Primefaces has its own theme for styling. - Primefaces changes the HTML structure. Therefore, that would be a huge effort to use the Primefaces' components to replicate the elements of the HTML template; especially it is impossible for images drawing by " canvas " tag. That requires us to find a better approach. Since Java EE 7 (introducing JSF 2.2 included), it supports to use HTML5 elements . The idea is that JSF components don't effect the style and HTML structure, so we can easily reuse the provided HTM...

Monday vhandit #2

  Introduction to OpenLDAP directory service "A directory is a specialized database specially designed for searching and browsing, in addition to supporting basic lookup and update functions" A directory service can be local, providing a restricted context; or global, providing service to a much broader context. Curlie is a good example of a directory service. LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) is a protocol for accessing directory services , specifically X.500-based directory services. OpenLDAP is an open-source implementation of LDAP. Writing system software: code comments I have read Clean Code (by Uncle Bob) and I thought that I should void comments since the code it explains its implementation itself. That is right but not always true. In this post, the author categorized the comments into 9 types. Only "trivial comments" and "backup comments" are the ones that should be avoided. I myself agree with "writing good comments is harder tha...

Regex - Check a text without special characters but German, French

Special characters such as square brackets ([ ]) can cause an exception " java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException " or something like this if we don't handle them correctly. I had met this issue. In my case, my customers want our application should allow some characters in German and French even not allow some special characters. The solution is that we limit the allowed characters by showing the validation message on GUI. For an instance, the message looks like the following: "This field can't contain any special characters; only letters, numbers, underscores (_), spaces and single quotes (') are allowed." I used Regular Expression to check it. For entering Germany and French, I actually don't have this type of keyboard, so I referred these sites: * German characters: http://german.typeit.org/ * French characters: http://french.typeit.org/ Here is my code: package vn.nvanhuong.practice; import java.util.regex.Matcher; import java.util...