Skip to main content

Changing source code at run-time with Service Locator pattern

I have a service to get some data but the result can be different basing on where the implementation is. Technically, I have two or more concrete implementation of an interface and I am able to switch using these concrete classes at run-time. That means I have a place to configure it without re-deploying the application. In order to overcome this issue, I use Service Locator design pattern and here I only care about two advantages below:
  • Encapsulating the specific implementation, we just declare the name and don't care about the implementation of the service.
  • Changing the implementation at run-time.



Client: an object that invokes the services via Service Locator
Business services: services that is used by Client.


Once again, I used the JFS Helloworld example from previous post for this example.

1. Create a service interface "CountryService" and two concrete classes "CountryService1" and "CountryService2" (Business services)

package vn.nvanhuong.servicelocator.service;

import java.util.List;

public interface CountryService{
 public List<String> getCountries();
}

The first concrete service:
package vn.nvanhuong.servicelocator.service.impl;

import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.List;

import vn.nvanhuong.servicelocator.service.CountryService;

public class CountryService1 implements CountryService{

 public List<String> getCountries() {
  List<String> result = new ArrayList<String>();
  result.add("Vietname");
  result.add("Switzerland");
  result.add("Japan");
  return result;
 }

}

The second concrete service:
package vn.nvanhuong.servicelocator.service.impl;

import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.List;

import vn.nvanhuong.servicelocator.service.CountryService;

public class CountryService2 implements CountryService{

 public List<String> getCountries() {
  List<String> result = new ArrayList<String>();
  result.add("Vietname");
  result.add("America");
  result.add("China");
  return result;
 }

}

2. Create class "InitialContext" that is used for looking up and creating classes basing on the provided names
package vn.nvanhuong.servicelocator;

import java.lang.reflect.Constructor;

public class IntitialContext {
 
 public Object lookup(String serviceName){
    
  if(serviceName != null){
   try {
    Class<?> clazz = Class.forName(serviceName);
    Constructor<?> ctor = clazz.getConstructor();
    Object object = ctor.newInstance();
    return object;
   } catch (Exception ex) {
    ex.printStackTrace();
   } 
  }
  return null;
 }

}


3. Create class "ServiceLocator", I used Singleton to cache the object.
package vn.nvanhuong.servicelocator;

public class ServiceLocator {
 private static ServiceLocator instance;
 
 private ServiceLocator(){}
 
 public static synchronized ServiceLocator getInstance(){
  if(instance == null){
   return new ServiceLocator();
  }
  return instance;
 }

 public Object getService(String serviceName) {
  IntitialContext initialContext = new IntitialContext();
  return initialContext.lookup(serviceName);
 }

}

4. Create a resource file "services.properties" in order to configure the changing implementation at run-time. :)
country = vn.nvanhuong.servicelocator.service.impl.CountryService1
language = vn.nvanhuong.servicelocator.service.impl.LanguageService1

5. Calling SeviceLocator in Managed bean (Client)
package vn.nvanhuong.servicelocator.bean;

import java.io.IOException;
import java.io.InputStream;
import java.util.List;
import java.util.Properties;

import javax.faces.bean.ManagedBean;

import vn.nvanhuong.servicelocator.ServiceLocator;
import vn.nvanhuong.servicelocator.service.CountryService;

@ManagedBean(name = "helloBean")
public class HelloBean {
 private List<String> countries;
 
 public HelloBean() throws IOException {
  Properties prop = new Properties();
     InputStream input = null;
     
     String filename = "services.properties";
  input = HelloBean.class.getClassLoader().getResourceAsStream(filename);

  prop.load(input);
  CountryService countryService = (CountryService) ServiceLocator.getInstance()
              .getService(prop.getProperty("country"));
        this.countries = countryService.getCountries();
  
 }

 public List<String> getCountries() {
  return countries;
 }

 public void setCountries(List<String> countries) {
  this.countries = countries;
 }
 
}
6. GUI code: index.xhtml
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
 xmlns:f="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core"
 xmlns:h="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html"
 xmlns:ui="http://java.sun.com/jsf/facelets">
<h:head>
 <title>Service Locator</title>
</h:head>
<h:body>
 <h3>Lis of countries:</h3>
 <h:dataTable value="#{helloBean.countries}" var="country">
   <h:column>
         <h:outputText value="#{country}" />
     </h:column>
 </h:dataTable>

</h:body>
</html>

7. Test (on Tomcat v7.0)

http://localhost:8080/service_locator/

Use the "CountryService1" by changing in "services.properties", don't need to restart the server.

country = vn.nvanhuong.servicelocator.service.impl.CountryService1




Use the "CountryService2" by changing in "services.properties", don't need to restart the server.

country = vn.nvanhuong.servicelocator.service.impl.CountryService2

Here we also can add more concrete classes of CountryService and just declare in file "services.properties" for using. For this reason, I use Java Reflection to create the objects basing on the provided names in general way otherwise we have to change the InitialContext whenever we want to add new concrete class of "CountryService".

Note:
There might have several ways to implement this pattern but the idea is general so that my example is only a case. We also can improve my implementation by using caching technique, see reference [3].


Reference:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Junit - Test fails on French or German string assertion

In my previous post about building a regex to check a text without special characters but allow German and French . I met a problem that the unit test works fine on my machine using Eclipse, but it was fail when running on Jenkins' build job. Here is my test: @Test public void shouldAllowFrenchAndGermanCharacters(){ String source = "ÄäÖöÜüß áÁàÀâÂéÉèÈêÊîÎçÇ"; assertFalse(SpecialCharactersUtils.isExistSpecialCharater(source)); } Production code: public static boolean isExistNotAllowedCharacters(String source){ Pattern regex = Pattern.compile("^[a-zA-Z_0-9_ÄäÖöÜüß áÁàÀâÂéÉèÈêÊîÎçÇ]*$"); Matcher matcher = regex.matcher(source); return !matcher.matches(); } The result likes the following: Failed tests: SpecialCharactersUtilsTest.shouldAllowFrenchAndGermanCharacters:32 null A guy from stackoverflow.com says: "This is probably due to the default encoding used for your Java source files. The ö in the string literal in the J...

4 Remarkable Notes for JSF Apps Using HTML5

In the previous post , I've already shared with you how my team consults clients by using a HTML prototype. This post is about the used technologies for reusing the provided HTML template and communicating with backend. What is the issue when using HTML elements with Primefaces components? Primefaces is a great extension for developing JSF web apps. However, it is really frustrating in case we have to make it work with an existing HTML template. Why? - Primefaces has its own theme for styling. - Primefaces changes the HTML structure. Therefore, that would be a huge effort to use the Primefaces' components to replicate the elements of the HTML template; especially it is impossible for images drawing by " canvas " tag. That requires us to find a better approach. Since Java EE 7 (introducing JSF 2.2 included), it supports to use HTML5 elements . The idea is that JSF components don't effect the style and HTML structure, so we can easily reuse the provided HTM...

My must-have apps for daily work

There is no doubt that cool apps can help us be more productive and enjoyable at work. For the time being, I really love the following apps which are used by me almost every day. 1. A personal Kanban In fact, a personal kanban is the most useful app for me. Why does it matter? It is not just a to-do list, but it keeps me motivated every day because it helps me be able to know what my "big picture" is. I usually set up my plans together with a path to reach them.  KanbanFlow  is my preferred tool. KanbanFlow 2. A terminal Needless to say, a terminal is a must-have app for every developer, especially the ones use macOS/Linux. Due to its importance, I love to decorate and enhance it to be super exciting with various tools such as  iTerm ,  oh-my- zsh , and  thefuck . ;) iTerm + oh-my-zsh 3. A documentation "ecosystem" As a developer, I can not remember all things that I have experimented a day. Moreover, a document is really useful for sharing an...

BarcampSaigon 2015

Barcamp Saigon is one of my most expected events of the year. This year, it took place at RMIT university. As usual, it brought many useful topics to the community. Here is all topics that I have attended. Scale it! - Lars Jankowfsky Lars is founder of 8bitrockr.com How do we make a decision correctly? It is hard to know that until we try and measure it. He gave an example about how good an app was. And, most of people thought that the app with nice user interfaces is good at the first look. But it is not correct because it is only true until we try to use it, even the nice GUI app sometime is not good at UX, functionalities, etc. The key of success for working in team is collaboration. We can not only base on the experience of members likes: "In my opinions| As I know.... this is the best way..bla..bla.." but we should test it. Therefore, manually testing as well as automation testing is more and more necessary nowadays. "Don't think, just try...

Coding Exercise, Episode 1

I have received the following exercise from an interviewer, he didn't give the name of the problem. Honestly, I have no idea how to solve this problem even I have tried to read it three times before. Since I used to be a person who always tells myself "I am not the one good at algorithms", but giving up something too soon which I feel that I didn't spend enough effort to overcome is not my way. Then, I have sticked on it for 24 hours. According to the given image on the problem, I tried to get more clues by searching. Thanks to Google, I found a similar problem on Hackerrank (attached link below). My target here was trying my best to just understand the problem and was trying to solve it accordingly by the Editorial on Hackerrank. Due to this circumstance, it turns me to love solving algorithms from now on (laugh). Check it out! Problem You are given a very organized square of size N (1-based index) and a list of S commands The i th command will follow t...