Skip to main content

JSF 2 - Dynamically manipulating the component tree with system events

Let's suppose we want to modify the metadata (attributes)  of elements such as render, requried, maxlength but we do not define in JSF tags. The manipulating components can be conducted in Drools files, for example. How could we do? I think that is what we need to change something of component tree during JSF life-cycle.


JSF supports event handling throughout the JSF life-cycle. In this post, I use two events: postAddToView for scanning components tree and preRenderView for manipulating the meta of components before rendering to GUI.

I modified my own project from previous post for this example. This is my first further JSF trying out with the project as I said before. :)

We define the tags f:event below the form - a container component of the components which we want to work on. The valid values for the attribute type for f:event can be found from tag library document of JSF 2.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
 xmlns:f="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core"
 xmlns:h="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html">
 <h:head>
  <title>JSF - System events Example</title>
 </h:head>
 <h:body>
  <h:form id="helloForm">
   <f:event listener="#{guiHanlder.onScanView}" type="postAddToView"/>
   <f:event listener="#{guiHanlder.onManipulateView}" type="preRenderView"/>
   
   <h:outputText value="#{helloBean.greeting}" id="greetingOutputTxt"/>
   <br/>
   <h:inputText value="#{helloBean.name}" id="nameInputText"/>
  </h:form>
 </h:body>
</html>

This is the managed bean below is just used for displaying information.

package vn.nvanhuong.jsf_myfaces;

import javax.faces.bean.ManagedBean;

@ManagedBean(name = "helloBean")
public class HelloManagedBean {
 private String greeting;
 private String name;
 
 public String getGreeting() {
  return greeting;
 }

 public void setGreeting(String greeting) {
  this.greeting = greeting;
 }

 public String getName() {
  return name;
 }

 public void setName(String name) {
  this.name = name;
 }
}

Here, I just used a method from a Java class to manipulate the components. In my future posts, I am going to try to call a Drools files instead.

package vn.nvanhuong.jsf_myfaces;

import java.util.List;

import javax.faces.bean.ManagedBean;
import javax.faces.component.UIComponent;
import javax.faces.component.html.HtmlInputText;
import javax.faces.component.html.HtmlOutputText;
import javax.faces.event.PostAddToViewEvent;
import javax.faces.event.PreRenderViewEvent;

@ManagedBean(name = "guiHanlder")
public class GuiManipulatingHandler {
 private List uiComponents;
 
 public void onScanView(PostAddToViewEvent event) {
  UIComponent rootView = event.getComponent();
  uiComponents = rootView.getChildren();
 }

 public void onManipulateView(PreRenderViewEvent event) {
  for (UIComponent uiComponent : uiComponents) {
   if(uiComponent instanceof HtmlOutputText){
    ((HtmlOutputText) uiComponent).setValue("Hello");
   }
   if(uiComponent instanceof HtmlInputText){
    ((HtmlInputText) uiComponent).setMaxlength(100);
    ((HtmlInputText) uiComponent).setValue("JSF system events");
   }
  }
 }
}


I ran on Tomcat (v7) and the result looks like:



Source code: https://github.com/vnnvanhuong/jsf_myfaces/tree/jsf_system_events

Reference:
[1]. http://balusc.omnifaces.org/2006/09/debug-jsf-lifecycle.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Multiple Inheritance of State and Implementation

Today, I was just curious about why an enum can not extend anything else. I took a look on the Oracle document here , and I found the answer is below: "All enums implicitly extend java.lang.Enum. Because a class can only extend one parent (see Declaring Classes), the Java language does not support multiple inheritance of state (see Multiple Inheritance of State, Implementation, and Type), and therefore an enum cannot extend anything else." I have been learned of it before. But, wait a sec...! Why Java does not support multiple inheritance of state? Since I have worked with other programming languages like C++, I was able to make a class extend some other classes. The short answer is to avoid the issues of multiple inheritance of state .  I wonder if other programming languages have these below terms but Java does. Multiple inheritance of state It is the ability to inherit fields from multiple classes. There is a problem and Java avoids it. "For exa...

Performance of a Data Structure

Why data structures matter The fact is that programs are all about processing data. Data structures are referred to how data is organized which affects the time of executing a program. How to measure the performance of a data structure In order to measure "how fast"/efficiency/performance of a data structure, we measure the performance of its operations. There are four basic operations including reading , searching , insertion , and deletion . A pure time consuming is not used for the measuring because it is not reliable depending on the hardware that it is run on. But instead, we use the term time complexity which refers to how many steps an operation takes. An example of how a single rule can affect efficiency Let's compare two data structures: Array and Set (with N elements). 1. Array - Reading : 1 step (because the computer has the ability to jump to any particular index in the array) - Searching : N steps (the worst case with linear search) - Inserti...

Monday vhandit #2

  Introduction to OpenLDAP directory service "A directory is a specialized database specially designed for searching and browsing, in addition to supporting basic lookup and update functions" A directory service can be local, providing a restricted context; or global, providing service to a much broader context. Curlie is a good example of a directory service. LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) is a protocol for accessing directory services , specifically X.500-based directory services. OpenLDAP is an open-source implementation of LDAP. Writing system software: code comments I have read Clean Code (by Uncle Bob) and I thought that I should void comments since the code it explains its implementation itself. That is right but not always true. In this post, the author categorized the comments into 9 types. Only "trivial comments" and "backup comments" are the ones that should be avoided. I myself agree with "writing good comments is harder tha...

Using Drools to Dynamically Manipulate Metadata of JSF Components

The post is just an approach to change metadata (e.g maxlength, required, etc) of JSF components (e.g. inputText, selectOneMenue, etc) by Drools. Project structure Tools being used Java version 1.8.0_131 Apache Maven 3.5.0 Apache Tomcat 8.0.16 Don't forget to configure your confidential information on  these following files: pom.xml, settings.xml (Maven) and tomcat-users.xml (Tomcat). For example: Source code https://github.com/vnnvanhuong/java_lab/tree/master/jsfdrools

4 Remarkable Notes for JSF Apps Using HTML5

In the previous post , I've already shared with you how my team consults clients by using a HTML prototype. This post is about the used technologies for reusing the provided HTML template and communicating with backend. What is the issue when using HTML elements with Primefaces components? Primefaces is a great extension for developing JSF web apps. However, it is really frustrating in case we have to make it work with an existing HTML template. Why? - Primefaces has its own theme for styling. - Primefaces changes the HTML structure. Therefore, that would be a huge effort to use the Primefaces' components to replicate the elements of the HTML template; especially it is impossible for images drawing by " canvas " tag. That requires us to find a better approach. Since Java EE 7 (introducing JSF 2.2 included), it supports to use HTML5 elements . The idea is that JSF components don't effect the style and HTML structure, so we can easily reuse the provided HTM...