Skip to main content

Set up a web server for learning HTTP headers


Motivation


We all follow the client-server model using the HTTP protocol for most of our web apps today. In development, we simply may have a backend API server and a frontend (web pages or mobile apps) only. However, it seemed that a proxy server is always required for production. In fact, most of the hardest issues in production come from integration. The requests and responses might be modified by the proxy server. Therefore, the understanding of HTTP protocol is one of the key skills to resolve those issues.

I wanted to dive deep into HTTP with some core concepts such as caching, cookies, and CORS. I didn't intend to go quickly rather than moved slowly to have a well understanding of what I do.

Prepare a server

The easiest way is to use my laptop as a server then I can just use "localhost". I can also use ngrok to make my web server online. Finally, I use an online tool such as RedBot to check the HTTP headers.

To make it more excited though, I deployed the app on AWS EC2. It was quite easy to launch an EC2 instance by using the wizard setup of AWS. Just simply use default settings for most of the cases. I was just curious about how to creating a new VPC (Virtual Private Cloud). To understand what exactly the IPv4 address and CIDR are, I first started to grab some knowledge about those topics by watching the following videos on YouTube


Next, I tried to create and do configure a virtual private network using Cisco Packet Tracer. I needed to configure IP address for involved devices: routers, servers, and laptop. Also, I did configure the routing tables for each router so that I could send packets among devices.

Coding

I used Express for my web server simply serving static files. I configured the HTTP header easily through passing the options of "express.static" middleware.

Deployment

Docker is my favourite tool for deployment. I created an image for my container running on my EC2 instance which I have already installed Docker. I also applied some best practices of Node.js and Docker. I built and pushed my Docker image into Docker Hub so that I could pull the image within the EC2 instance.

Happy coding!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Junit - Test fails on French or German string assertion

In my previous post about building a regex to check a text without special characters but allow German and French . I met a problem that the unit test works fine on my machine using Eclipse, but it was fail when running on Jenkins' build job. Here is my test: @Test public void shouldAllowFrenchAndGermanCharacters(){ String source = "ÄäÖöÜüß áÁàÀâÂéÉèÈêÊîÎçÇ"; assertFalse(SpecialCharactersUtils.isExistSpecialCharater(source)); } Production code: public static boolean isExistNotAllowedCharacters(String source){ Pattern regex = Pattern.compile("^[a-zA-Z_0-9_ÄäÖöÜüß áÁàÀâÂéÉèÈêÊîÎçÇ]*$"); Matcher matcher = regex.matcher(source); return !matcher.matches(); } The result likes the following: Failed tests: SpecialCharactersUtilsTest.shouldAllowFrenchAndGermanCharacters:32 null A guy from stackoverflow.com says: "This is probably due to the default encoding used for your Java source files. The ö in the string literal in the J...

4 Remarkable Notes for JSF Apps Using HTML5

In the previous post , I've already shared with you how my team consults clients by using a HTML prototype. This post is about the used technologies for reusing the provided HTML template and communicating with backend. What is the issue when using HTML elements with Primefaces components? Primefaces is a great extension for developing JSF web apps. However, it is really frustrating in case we have to make it work with an existing HTML template. Why? - Primefaces has its own theme for styling. - Primefaces changes the HTML structure. Therefore, that would be a huge effort to use the Primefaces' components to replicate the elements of the HTML template; especially it is impossible for images drawing by " canvas " tag. That requires us to find a better approach. Since Java EE 7 (introducing JSF 2.2 included), it supports to use HTML5 elements . The idea is that JSF components don't effect the style and HTML structure, so we can easily reuse the provided HTM...

BarcampSaigon 2015

Barcamp Saigon is one of my most expected events of the year. This year, it took place at RMIT university. As usual, it brought many useful topics to the community. Here is all topics that I have attended. Scale it! - Lars Jankowfsky Lars is founder of 8bitrockr.com How do we make a decision correctly? It is hard to know that until we try and measure it. He gave an example about how good an app was. And, most of people thought that the app with nice user interfaces is good at the first look. But it is not correct because it is only true until we try to use it, even the nice GUI app sometime is not good at UX, functionalities, etc. The key of success for working in team is collaboration. We can not only base on the experience of members likes: "In my opinions| As I know.... this is the best way..bla..bla.." but we should test it. Therefore, manually testing as well as automation testing is more and more necessary nowadays. "Don't think, just try...

My must-have apps for daily work

There is no doubt that cool apps can help us be more productive and enjoyable at work. For the time being, I really love the following apps which are used by me almost every day. 1. A personal Kanban In fact, a personal kanban is the most useful app for me. Why does it matter? It is not just a to-do list, but it keeps me motivated every day because it helps me be able to know what my "big picture" is. I usually set up my plans together with a path to reach them.  KanbanFlow  is my preferred tool. KanbanFlow 2. A terminal Needless to say, a terminal is a must-have app for every developer, especially the ones use macOS/Linux. Due to its importance, I love to decorate and enhance it to be super exciting with various tools such as  iTerm ,  oh-my- zsh , and  thefuck . ;) iTerm + oh-my-zsh 3. A documentation "ecosystem" As a developer, I can not remember all things that I have experimented a day. Moreover, a document is really useful for sharing an...

Coding Exercise, Episode 1

I have received the following exercise from an interviewer, he didn't give the name of the problem. Honestly, I have no idea how to solve this problem even I have tried to read it three times before. Since I used to be a person who always tells myself "I am not the one good at algorithms", but giving up something too soon which I feel that I didn't spend enough effort to overcome is not my way. Then, I have sticked on it for 24 hours. According to the given image on the problem, I tried to get more clues by searching. Thanks to Google, I found a similar problem on Hackerrank (attached link below). My target here was trying my best to just understand the problem and was trying to solve it accordingly by the Editorial on Hackerrank. Due to this circumstance, it turns me to love solving algorithms from now on (laugh). Check it out! Problem You are given a very organized square of size N (1-based index) and a list of S commands The i th command will follow t...