Skip to main content

Junit - Test fails on French or German string assertion

In my previous post about building a regex to check a text without special characters but allow German and French. I met a problem that the unit test works fine on my machine using Eclipse, but it was fail when running on Jenkins' build job.

Here is my test:

@Test
public void shouldAllowFrenchAndGermanCharacters(){
  String source = "ÄäÖöÜüß áÁàÀâÂéÉèÈêÊîÎçÇ"; 
  assertFalse(SpecialCharactersUtils.isExistSpecialCharater(source));
}

Production code:

public static boolean isExistNotAllowedCharacters(String source){  
  Pattern regex = Pattern.compile("^[a-zA-Z_0-9_ÄäÖöÜüß áÁàÀâÂéÉèÈêÊîÎçÇ]*$");  
  Matcher matcher = regex.matcher(source);  
  return !matcher.matches();  
 } 

The result likes the following:
 
Failed tests:
   SpecialCharactersUtilsTest.shouldAllowFrenchAndGermanCharacters:32 null

A guy from stackoverflow.com says:

"This is probably due to the default encoding used for your Java source files. The ö in the string literal in the JUnit source code is probably being converted to something else when the test is compiled. To avoid this, use Unicode escapes (\uxxxx) in the string literals in your JUnit source code"

So, I tried to find what and where exactly  the \uxxxx is. The answer they are Unicode character codes, and they could be easy to find. The following is an example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters

I changed the function to use Unicode characters instead:

public static boolean isExistSpecialCharater(String source){
 Pattern regex = Pattern.compile("^[a-zA-Z_0-9_\u00c4\u00e4\u00d6\u00f6\u00dc\u00fc\u00df\u00e0\u00c0\u00e1\u00c1\u00e2\u00c2\u00e9\u00c9\u00e8\u00c8\u00ea\u00ca\u00ee\u00ce\u00e7\u00c7\u0020\u0027]*$");
 Matcher matcher = regex.matcher(source);
 return !matcher.matches();
  
} 

And, modified the test case also:

@Test
public void shouldAllowFrenchCharacters(){
   String source = "\u00e0\u00c0\u00e1\u00c1\u00e2\u00c2\u00e9\u00c9\u00e8\u00c8\u00ea\u00ca\u00ee\u00ce\u00e7\u00c7\u0020\u0027"; 
   assertFalse(SpecialCharactersUtils.isExistSpecialCharater(source));
}

Yeah, it works. Besides, I have already made it by writing an automation test with Selenium to make sure that it can also work on GUI as my expectation.

References:
[1]. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4237581/comparing-unicode-characters-in-junit
[2]. http://www.widecodes.com/0zxqPkPkej/junit-fails-on-french-string-assertion.html

Comments

  1. By using Jenkins job, the Unicode character codes should be lower case all characters in Java code. for example: use '\u00e0' instead of '\u00E0'

    ReplyDelete
  2. it just work when You use lower case for all special character. for ex: \u00E0 will not work

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can use this tool to convert from unicode to hex:
    http://www.endmemo.com/unicode/unicodeconverter.php

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Multiple Inheritance of State and Implementation

Today, I was just curious about why an enum can not extend anything else. I took a look on the Oracle document here , and I found the answer is below: "All enums implicitly extend java.lang.Enum. Because a class can only extend one parent (see Declaring Classes), the Java language does not support multiple inheritance of state (see Multiple Inheritance of State, Implementation, and Type), and therefore an enum cannot extend anything else." I have been learned of it before. But, wait a sec...! Why Java does not support multiple inheritance of state? Since I have worked with other programming languages like C++, I was able to make a class extend some other classes. The short answer is to avoid the issues of multiple inheritance of state .  I wonder if other programming languages have these below terms but Java does. Multiple inheritance of state It is the ability to inherit fields from multiple classes. There is a problem and Java avoids it. "For exa...

Performance of a Data Structure

Why data structures matter The fact is that programs are all about processing data. Data structures are referred to how data is organized which affects the time of executing a program. How to measure the performance of a data structure In order to measure "how fast"/efficiency/performance of a data structure, we measure the performance of its operations. There are four basic operations including reading , searching , insertion , and deletion . A pure time consuming is not used for the measuring because it is not reliable depending on the hardware that it is run on. But instead, we use the term time complexity which refers to how many steps an operation takes. An example of how a single rule can affect efficiency Let's compare two data structures: Array and Set (with N elements). 1. Array - Reading : 1 step (because the computer has the ability to jump to any particular index in the array) - Searching : N steps (the worst case with linear search) - Inserti...

Monday vhandit #2

  Introduction to OpenLDAP directory service "A directory is a specialized database specially designed for searching and browsing, in addition to supporting basic lookup and update functions" A directory service can be local, providing a restricted context; or global, providing service to a much broader context. Curlie is a good example of a directory service. LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) is a protocol for accessing directory services , specifically X.500-based directory services. OpenLDAP is an open-source implementation of LDAP. Writing system software: code comments I have read Clean Code (by Uncle Bob) and I thought that I should void comments since the code it explains its implementation itself. That is right but not always true. In this post, the author categorized the comments into 9 types. Only "trivial comments" and "backup comments" are the ones that should be avoided. I myself agree with "writing good comments is harder tha...

Regex - Check a text without special characters but German, French

Special characters such as square brackets ([ ]) can cause an exception " java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException " or something like this if we don't handle them correctly. I had met this issue. In my case, my customers want our application should allow some characters in German and French even not allow some special characters. The solution is that we limit the allowed characters by showing the validation message on GUI. For an instance, the message looks like the following: "This field can't contain any special characters; only letters, numbers, underscores (_), spaces and single quotes (') are allowed." I used Regular Expression to check it. For entering Germany and French, I actually don't have this type of keyboard, so I referred these sites: * German characters: http://german.typeit.org/ * French characters: http://french.typeit.org/ Here is my code: package vn.nvanhuong.practice; import java.util.regex.Matcher; import java.util...

Adding a default text to the beginning of an text area

I have a text area where I can enter a SQL statement. The text "SELECT TOP 1" is used at the begining of the sql statement as a default prefix that can not be removed. In order to archive this functionality, I found three options: 1. Use an inputMask and build a pattern for the entered text. We can use the prefix inside the text area: http://jsfiddle.net/SEXAj/2130/ 2. Create an javascript event listener on event "input" and calculate to prevent the prefix is removed http://jsfiddle.net/sarbbottam/TUc94/ 3. Use another html tag like "div"/"span" that contains the prefix and calculate the suitable position + Tag "span": http://jsfiddle.net/4YzZy/ + Tag "div": http://jsfiddle.net/215b34fs/ I chose the 3rd approach with tag "div" because it's the most easiest solution and suitable for me at that monment. References: [1].  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24846041/how-do-i-add-a-default-text...