Skip to main content

Regex - Check a text without special characters but German, French

Special characters such as square brackets ([ ]) can cause an exception "java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException" or something like this if we don't handle them correctly.

I had met this issue. In my case, my customers want our application should allow some characters in German and French even not allow some special characters.

The solution is that we limit the allowed characters by showing the validation message on GUI. For an instance, the message looks like the following:

"This field can't contain any special characters; only letters, numbers, underscores (_), spaces and single quotes (') are allowed."

I used Regular Expression to check it. For entering Germany and French, I actually don't have this type of keyboard, so I referred these sites:

* German characters: http://german.typeit.org/
* French characters: http://french.typeit.org/

Here is my code:
package vn.nvanhuong.practice;

import java.util.regex.Matcher;
import java.util.regex.Pattern;

public class SpecialCharactersUtil {
 private SpecialCharactersUtil(){}
 
 public static boolean isExistNotAllowedCharacters(String source){
  Pattern regex = Pattern.compile("^[a-zA-Z_0-9_äöüÄÖÜùûüÿàâæéèêëïîôœÙÛÜŸÀÂÆÉÈÊËÏÎÔŒ' ]*$");
  Matcher matcher = regex.matcher(source);
  return !matcher.matches();
 }
}

And, some tests:
package vn.nvanhuong.practice.test;

import static org.junit.Assert.*;

import org.junit.Test;

import vn.nvanhuong.practice.SpecialCharactersUtil;

public class SpecialCharactersUtilTest {

 @Test
 public void shoulDetectSpecialCharacters() {
  String source = "~`!@#$%^&*()-+={}\\[\\]\\|:;\"<>,./?";
  assertTrue(SpecialCharactersUtil.isExistNotAllowedCharacters(source));
 }
 
 @Test
 public void shoulAllowGermanCharacters() {
  String source = "äöüÄÖÜ";
  assertFalse(SpecialCharactersUtil.isExistNotAllowedCharacters(source));
 }
 
 @Test
 public void shoulAllowFrenchCharacters() {
  String source = "ùûüÿàâæéèêëïîôœÙÛÜŸÀÂÆÉÈÊËÏÎÔŒ";
  assertFalse(SpecialCharactersUtil.isExistNotAllowedCharacters(source));
 }

 @Test
 public void shoulAllowAlphanumericAndSpacesAndUnderscoreAndSingleQuote() {
  String source = "character' special_1";
  assertFalse(SpecialCharactersUtil.isExistNotAllowedCharacters(source));
 }
}
Now, we can use the method for our validation on GUI.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Junit - Test fails on French or German string assertion

In my previous post about building a regex to check a text without special characters but allow German and French . I met a problem that the unit test works fine on my machine using Eclipse, but it was fail when running on Jenkins' build job. Here is my test: @Test public void shouldAllowFrenchAndGermanCharacters(){ String source = "ÄäÖöÜüß áÁàÀâÂéÉèÈêÊîÎçÇ"; assertFalse(SpecialCharactersUtils.isExistSpecialCharater(source)); } Production code: public static boolean isExistNotAllowedCharacters(String source){ Pattern regex = Pattern.compile("^[a-zA-Z_0-9_ÄäÖöÜüß áÁàÀâÂéÉèÈêÊîÎçÇ]*$"); Matcher matcher = regex.matcher(source); return !matcher.matches(); } The result likes the following: Failed tests: SpecialCharactersUtilsTest.shouldAllowFrenchAndGermanCharacters:32 null A guy from stackoverflow.com says: "This is probably due to the default encoding used for your Java source files. The ö in the string literal in the J...

4 Remarkable Notes for JSF Apps Using HTML5

In the previous post , I've already shared with you how my team consults clients by using a HTML prototype. This post is about the used technologies for reusing the provided HTML template and communicating with backend. What is the issue when using HTML elements with Primefaces components? Primefaces is a great extension for developing JSF web apps. However, it is really frustrating in case we have to make it work with an existing HTML template. Why? - Primefaces has its own theme for styling. - Primefaces changes the HTML structure. Therefore, that would be a huge effort to use the Primefaces' components to replicate the elements of the HTML template; especially it is impossible for images drawing by " canvas " tag. That requires us to find a better approach. Since Java EE 7 (introducing JSF 2.2 included), it supports to use HTML5 elements . The idea is that JSF components don't effect the style and HTML structure, so we can easily reuse the provided HTM...

Multiple Inheritance of State and Implementation

Today, I was just curious about why an enum can not extend anything else. I took a look on the Oracle document here , and I found the answer is below: "All enums implicitly extend java.lang.Enum. Because a class can only extend one parent (see Declaring Classes), the Java language does not support multiple inheritance of state (see Multiple Inheritance of State, Implementation, and Type), and therefore an enum cannot extend anything else." I have been learned of it before. But, wait a sec...! Why Java does not support multiple inheritance of state? Since I have worked with other programming languages like C++, I was able to make a class extend some other classes. The short answer is to avoid the issues of multiple inheritance of state .  I wonder if other programming languages have these below terms but Java does. Multiple inheritance of state It is the ability to inherit fields from multiple classes. There is a problem and Java avoids it. "For exa...

[Snippet] CSS - Child element overlap parent

I searched from somewhere and found that a lot of people says a basic concept for implementing this feature looks like below: HTML code: <div id="parent">  <div id="child">  </div> </div> And, CSS: #parent{   position: relative;   overflow:hidden; } #child{   position: absolute;   top: -1;   right: -1px; } However, I had a lot of grand-parents in my case and the above code didn't work. Therefore, I needed an alternative. I presumed that my app uses Boostrap and AngularJs, maybe some CSS from them affects mine. I didn't know exactly the problem, but I believed when all CSS is loaded into my browser, I could completely handle it. www.tom-collinson.com I tried to create an example to investigated this problem by Fiddle . Accidentally, I just changed: position: parent; to position: static; for one of parents -> the problem is solved. Look at my code: <div class="modal-body dn-placeholder-parent-positi...

The HelloWorld example of JSF 2.2 with Myfaces

I just did by myself create a very simple app "HelloWorld" of JSF 2.2 with a concrete implementation Myfaces that we can use it later on for our further JSF trying out. I attached the source code link at the end part. Just follow these steps below: 1. Create a Maven project in Eclipse (Kepler) with a simple Java web application archetype "maven-archetype-webapp". Maven should be the best choice for managing the dependencies , so far. JSF is a web framework that is the reason why I chose the mentioned archetype for my example. 2. Import dependencies for JSF implementation - Myfaces (v2.2.10) into file pom.xml . The following code that is easy to find from  http://mvnrepository.com/  with key words "myfaces". <dependency> <groupId>org.apache.myfaces.core</groupId> <artifactId>myfaces-api</artifactId> <version>2.2.10</version> </dependency> <dependency> <groupId>org.apache.myfaces.core<...