Skip to main content

PSMDB - A MongoDB alternative for having Encryption At Rest


Encryption is the most popular tool for securing data both in transit and at rest.

- For protecting data in transit, we can configure to use the TLS connection

- For protecting data at rest, we can use Percona Server for MongoDB (PSMDB), an open-source alternative for MongoDB Enterprise.


License

PSMDB Docker images follow the SSPL license. Therefore, it is not a problem when I only have my containers deployed in on-premises environments.

Running MongoDB Replication on OpenShift

I have successfully installed the replication by following the guide Install Percona Server for MongoDB on OpenShift. In order to make it work properly with my needs, I disabled some features from the default deployment. See the detail in this change

Basically, I needed to create a CRD (Custom Resource Definition) to let OpenShift/Kubernetes what PSMDB is. Then, I deployed the Operator pod. Finally, I deployed the PSMDB StatefulSet. I used NFS shares for Persistent Volumes.

Create CRD for PSMDB

2git clone https://github.com/percona/percona-server-mongodb-operator 3cd percona-server-mongodb-operator 4 5# create Custom Resource Definition (CRD) with cluster-admin role 6# This task is needed to executed once 7oc apply -f deploy/crd.yaml

Deploy the Operator pod

2oc new-project psmdb 3 4# Add role-based access control (RBAC) 5oc apply -f deploy/rbac.yaml 6 7# deploy operator pod 8oc apply -f deploy/operator.yaml 9 10# Add secret 11oc create -f deploy/secrets.yaml

Create SealedSecret for local keyfile

(Assumed that SealedSecret is installed and ready for use)

By default, the operator generates a normal Kubernetes secret with the name "my-cluster-name-mongodb-encryption-key". This secret is automatically attached to the MongoDB StatefulSet and persisted as a file through volumes. The operator also handles passing the files to "mongod" command in the container entry point. We can replace the secret in the deployment templates "deploy/cr.yaml". For example:

1 security 2 enableEncryption: true 3 encryptionKeySecret: mongodb-encryption-key 4 encryptionCipherMode: AES256-CBC

Here is an example to create a SealedSecret "mongodb-encryption-key" locally and apply it to the project.
1 $ openssl rand -base64 32 > mongodb-keyfile 2$ cat mongodb-keyfile | kubectl create secret generic mongodb-encryption-key \ 3--dry-run=client --from-file=encryption-key=/dev/stdin \ 4-o yaml > mongodb-encryption-secret.yaml 5$ kubeseal < mongodb-encryption-secret.yaml > mongodb-encryption-sealed-secret.yaml 6$ oc create -f mongodb-encryption-sealed-secret.yaml

Install PSMDB StatefulSet

(Assumed that NFS is installed and ready for use)

Create NFS shares: data-0, data-1, and data-2. Here is a sample command for data-0
1$> ssh someuser@files.example.com.local 2$> sudo mkdir /srv/data/psmdb/mongodb/data-0 3$> sudo chown nfsnobody:0 /srv/data/psmdb/mongodb/data-0 4$> sudo chmod go+w /srv/data/psmdb/mongodb/data-0 5$> sudo chmod g+s /srv/data/psmdb/mongodb/data-0

The directory attributes should look like

drwxrwsrwx. 5 nfsnobody root 4096 Jun 24 03:31 data-0

drwxrwsrwx. 5 nfsnobody root 4096 Jun 24 03:30 data-1

drwxrwsrwx. 5 nfsnobody root 4096 Jun 24 03:31 data-2

Create corresponding Persistent Volumes with NFS shares
1kind: PersistentVolume 2apiVersion: v1 3metadata: 4 name: psmdb-mongodb-data-0 5spec: 6 capacity: 7 storage: 2Gi 8 nfs: 9 server: files.example.com.local 10 path: /srv/data/psmdb/mongodb/data-0 11 accessModes: 12 - ReadWriteOnce 13 persistentVolumeReclaimPolicy: Recycle 14 storageClassName: psmdb 15

Install the PSMDB StatefulSet
1 $> oc apply -f deploy/cr.yaml

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My must-have apps for daily work

There is no doubt that cool apps can help us be more productive and enjoyable at work. For the time being, I really love the following apps which are used by me almost every day. 1. A personal Kanban In fact, a personal kanban is the most useful app for me. Why does it matter? It is not just a to-do list, but it keeps me motivated every day because it helps me be able to know what my "big picture" is. I usually set up my plans together with a path to reach them.  KanbanFlow  is my preferred tool. KanbanFlow 2. A terminal Needless to say, a terminal is a must-have app for every developer, especially the ones use macOS/Linux. Due to its importance, I love to decorate and enhance it to be super exciting with various tools such as  iTerm ,  oh-my- zsh , and  thefuck . ;) iTerm + oh-my-zsh 3. A documentation "ecosystem" As a developer, I can not remember all things that I have experimented a day. Moreover, a document is really useful for sharing an...

[Snippet] CSS - Child element overlap parent

I searched from somewhere and found that a lot of people says a basic concept for implementing this feature looks like below: HTML code: <div id="parent">  <div id="child">  </div> </div> And, CSS: #parent{   position: relative;   overflow:hidden; } #child{   position: absolute;   top: -1;   right: -1px; } However, I had a lot of grand-parents in my case and the above code didn't work. Therefore, I needed an alternative. I presumed that my app uses Boostrap and AngularJs, maybe some CSS from them affects mine. I didn't know exactly the problem, but I believed when all CSS is loaded into my browser, I could completely handle it. www.tom-collinson.com I tried to create an example to investigated this problem by Fiddle . Accidentally, I just changed: position: parent; to position: static; for one of parents -> the problem is solved. Look at my code: <div class="modal-body dn-placeholder-parent-positi...

Junit - Test fails on French or German string assertion

In my previous post about building a regex to check a text without special characters but allow German and French . I met a problem that the unit test works fine on my machine using Eclipse, but it was fail when running on Jenkins' build job. Here is my test: @Test public void shouldAllowFrenchAndGermanCharacters(){ String source = "ÄäÖöÜüß áÁàÀâÂéÉèÈêÊîÎçÇ"; assertFalse(SpecialCharactersUtils.isExistSpecialCharater(source)); } Production code: public static boolean isExistNotAllowedCharacters(String source){ Pattern regex = Pattern.compile("^[a-zA-Z_0-9_ÄäÖöÜüß áÁàÀâÂéÉèÈêÊîÎçÇ]*$"); Matcher matcher = regex.matcher(source); return !matcher.matches(); } The result likes the following: Failed tests: SpecialCharactersUtilsTest.shouldAllowFrenchAndGermanCharacters:32 null A guy from stackoverflow.com says: "This is probably due to the default encoding used for your Java source files. The ö in the string literal in the J...

Adding a default text to the beginning of an text area

I have a text area where I can enter a SQL statement. The text "SELECT TOP 1" is used at the begining of the sql statement as a default prefix that can not be removed. In order to archive this functionality, I found three options: 1. Use an inputMask and build a pattern for the entered text. We can use the prefix inside the text area: http://jsfiddle.net/SEXAj/2130/ 2. Create an javascript event listener on event "input" and calculate to prevent the prefix is removed http://jsfiddle.net/sarbbottam/TUc94/ 3. Use another html tag like "div"/"span" that contains the prefix and calculate the suitable position + Tag "span": http://jsfiddle.net/4YzZy/ + Tag "div": http://jsfiddle.net/215b34fs/ I chose the 3rd approach with tag "div" because it's the most easiest solution and suitable for me at that monment. References: [1].  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24846041/how-do-i-add-a-default-text...

4 Remarkable Notes for JSF Apps Using HTML5

In the previous post , I've already shared with you how my team consults clients by using a HTML prototype. This post is about the used technologies for reusing the provided HTML template and communicating with backend. What is the issue when using HTML elements with Primefaces components? Primefaces is a great extension for developing JSF web apps. However, it is really frustrating in case we have to make it work with an existing HTML template. Why? - Primefaces has its own theme for styling. - Primefaces changes the HTML structure. Therefore, that would be a huge effort to use the Primefaces' components to replicate the elements of the HTML template; especially it is impossible for images drawing by " canvas " tag. That requires us to find a better approach. Since Java EE 7 (introducing JSF 2.2 included), it supports to use HTML5 elements . The idea is that JSF components don't effect the style and HTML structure, so we can easily reuse the provided HTM...