Skip to main content

Monday vhandit #2

 


Introduction to OpenLDAP directory service

"A directory is a specialized database specially designed for searching and browsing, in addition to supporting basic lookup and update functions"

A directory service can be local, providing a restricted context; or global, providing service to a much broader context. Curlie is a good example of a directory service.

LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) is a protocol for accessing directory services, specifically X.500-based directory services.

OpenLDAP is an open-source implementation of LDAP.

Writing system software: code comments

I have read Clean Code (by Uncle Bob) and I thought that I should void comments since the code it explains its implementation itself. That is right but not always true. In this post, the author categorized the comments into 9 types. Only "trivial comments" and "backup comments" are the ones that should be avoided. I myself agree with "writing good comments is harder than writing good code".

How To Become A Hacker

This is an old post, but worth reading. Previously, I used to think that hackers are kind of bad people since they usually are known as someone trying to steal users' accounts, make a system down, etc. But, no! Hackers build stuff. Hackers are heroes to build the Internet and keep it safe for users. I am building myself to become a hacker as well.

And, Hacker News is my most favorite website for my daily updates.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monday vhandit #1

This is the first post in a series of articles called "Monday vhandit". You can go to the original post by clicking on each head title. Character encodings: essential concepts This article points out why Unicode matters and differentiates among concepts: character sets, coded character set (unit is code points), and character encoding. Explained from First Principles: the Internet The very structural and well-explained article contains almost concepts of the Internet. I really appreciated the author's effort put on that post. Dev Community - DevDojo I just joined this community. DevDojo is really a developer-oriented platform. It is very nice, easy, fast, and sufficient to write (Markdown supported) and search for a post. The best of it, you also have a personal blog for your posts at "<your_username>.devdojo.com". My username is vnnvanhuong Everything you need to know about HTTP security headers A good collection of HTTP security-related headers. Moreover...

Projects Ownership

Developers should be informed transparently about the next things that they are going to do since it impacts their mentality as well as their accountabilities. A view of Vung Tau beach First thing first, the Product Owner plays a very important role in understanding the business of the projects clearly and planning the User Stories for Development Teams. For Development Teams, we have two roles related to a project including Owner and Maintainer. The following are the definition and responsibilities for each role: Project Owner The Owner is normally assigned to the team that created the project at the beginning. It is known as the long-term project of the team. Therefore, the members of the Owner have almost knowledge of the projects including the history (i.e decisions made), business logic, and technologies used.  - Maintain a good system design (code) of the projects. Therefore, they are mandatory to review code (pull requests) from other teams. - Maintain the related documents ...

My 2017 Review

Passion for System Design After finishing a one year project, my longest stable team (lasted for 3 years) was separated into two smaller teams. Sadly, but that was a good chance for me to become a key member in my new team. My preferred skills were about system architectures; therefore most of the tasks of building the application structures were handled by me. In order to enhance my design system skills, I have spent much my time for reading books closely after work. These following books help me a lot. - Object-Oriented Thought Process | Matt Weisfeld - Head First Design Pattern  | Elisabeth Freeman and Kathy Sierra - Java 8 in Action: Lambdas, Streams, and Functional-style Programming | Alan Mycroft and Mario Fusco Junior Technical Architect I was requested to join a technical architect team (aka Team. Alpha) where I actually had gained experiences almost on interviewing candidates for my company (lol). Besides, I noticed myself must improve the skills of convinci...