Skip to main content

Gzip upload on browsers



Today, I faced a problem that I could not upload my archive file with gzip format on Firefox, even it worked on Chrome. I was using macOS. My application had a setting to whitelist accepted files. I’ve already added "application/gzip" to that list. "It’s strange!", I thought.

I finally figured out that my uploaded file's type actually was "application/x-gzip" on Firefox. I also asked my colleagues to check their uploaded files on Window and Ubuntu. Hmm… they were totally different! It was "application/x-compressed" on Window, and was "application/x-compressed-tar" on Ubuntu.

In fact, gzip is already standardized by IANA. There is a note in RFC-6713 as below:

"Some applications have informally used media types such as application/gzip-compressed, application/gzipped, application/x-gunzip, application/x-gzip, application/x-gzip-compressed, and gzip/document to describe data compressed with gzip. The media types defined in this document should replace those media types in future applications."

As you can see, the difference of media types among browsers still persists as of this writing. That was the root cause!

Therefore, I had to added all media types including "application/zip,application/x-gzip,application/x-compressed,application/x-compressed-tar" in my app's whitelist.

Comments

  1. anh làm một blog về sự quan trọng của tiếng anh ( speaking, writing ) đi anh. Một dev có được skill viết như anh thì có được đãi ngộ gì đặc biệt hơn kh ạ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Để mình kể cho bạn nghe câu chuyện học tiếng Anh của mình để xem nó quan trọng thế nào với mình nhé. Thực ra, ban đầu động lực học tiếng Anh duy nhất của mình là cố gắng "sống sót" trong môi trường làm việc sử dụng tiếng Anh để giao tiếp. Lúc đó, trong team mình còn "bị đánh giá" là hạng D (trong thang điểm A, B, C, D). Ghê chưa! Nhìn xung quanh sao người ta ai cũng giỏi, ai cũng hay quá, thế là mình hạ quyết tâm học cho bằng được. Trong lúc người ta còn ngủ, mình phải dậy sớm học tiếng Anh; trong lúc người ta nghỉ trưa, mình học tiếng Anh; và trong lúc người ta đi xem phim tối, mình học tiếng Anh. Trong vòng 6 tháng như vậy thì mình đã tự tin ra hẳn, nói được và nghe được. Từ đó, mình cảm thấy tiếng Anh là một thứ gì đó không thể thiếu hằng ngày. Mình có thể đọc sách tiếng Anh, xem phim tiếng Anh, học khoá học tiếng Anh, đi meetup nói tiếng Anh, vân vân. Vậy là khi thành thạo nó thì bây giờ nó trở thành công cụ giúp mình tiếp nhận rất nhiều thông tin, học hỏi được nhiều thứ, và "enjoy" cuộc sống nhiều hơn.

      Trong môi trường sử dụng tiếng Anh để giao tiếp, nếu bạn có tiếng Anh tốt thì bạn mới giao tiếp tốt. Ngôn ngữ cũng giống như protocol trong phần mềm. Bạn phải hiểu và sử dụng đúng protocol thì hệ thống mới hoạt động đúng. Bạn giỏi tiếng Anh, bạn tự tin khi giao tiếp với khách hàng, bạn tự tin viết tài liệu, bạn tư tin xông pha học cái mới, bạn tự tin khi thuyết trình, vân vân. Bạn sẽ được giao nhiều việc quan trọng và mang lại nhiều giá trị cho công ty. Như vậy, vì cái "dich vụ" của bạn quá tốt, chắc chắn bạn phải thoả thuận được "giá cao". :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Multiple Inheritance of State and Implementation

Today, I was just curious about why an enum can not extend anything else. I took a look on the Oracle document here , and I found the answer is below: "All enums implicitly extend java.lang.Enum. Because a class can only extend one parent (see Declaring Classes), the Java language does not support multiple inheritance of state (see Multiple Inheritance of State, Implementation, and Type), and therefore an enum cannot extend anything else." I have been learned of it before. But, wait a sec...! Why Java does not support multiple inheritance of state? Since I have worked with other programming languages like C++, I was able to make a class extend some other classes. The short answer is to avoid the issues of multiple inheritance of state .  I wonder if other programming languages have these below terms but Java does. Multiple inheritance of state It is the ability to inherit fields from multiple classes. There is a problem and Java avoids it. "For exa...

Performance of a Data Structure

Why data structures matter The fact is that programs are all about processing data. Data structures are referred to how data is organized which affects the time of executing a program. How to measure the performance of a data structure In order to measure "how fast"/efficiency/performance of a data structure, we measure the performance of its operations. There are four basic operations including reading , searching , insertion , and deletion . A pure time consuming is not used for the measuring because it is not reliable depending on the hardware that it is run on. But instead, we use the term time complexity which refers to how many steps an operation takes. An example of how a single rule can affect efficiency Let's compare two data structures: Array and Set (with N elements). 1. Array - Reading : 1 step (because the computer has the ability to jump to any particular index in the array) - Searching : N steps (the worst case with linear search) - Inserti...

Monday vhandit #2

  Introduction to OpenLDAP directory service "A directory is a specialized database specially designed for searching and browsing, in addition to supporting basic lookup and update functions" A directory service can be local, providing a restricted context; or global, providing service to a much broader context. Curlie is a good example of a directory service. LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) is a protocol for accessing directory services , specifically X.500-based directory services. OpenLDAP is an open-source implementation of LDAP. Writing system software: code comments I have read Clean Code (by Uncle Bob) and I thought that I should void comments since the code it explains its implementation itself. That is right but not always true. In this post, the author categorized the comments into 9 types. Only "trivial comments" and "backup comments" are the ones that should be avoided. I myself agree with "writing good comments is harder tha...

Regex - Check a text without special characters but German, French

Special characters such as square brackets ([ ]) can cause an exception " java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException " or something like this if we don't handle them correctly. I had met this issue. In my case, my customers want our application should allow some characters in German and French even not allow some special characters. The solution is that we limit the allowed characters by showing the validation message on GUI. For an instance, the message looks like the following: "This field can't contain any special characters; only letters, numbers, underscores (_), spaces and single quotes (') are allowed." I used Regular Expression to check it. For entering Germany and French, I actually don't have this type of keyboard, so I referred these sites: * German characters: http://german.typeit.org/ * French characters: http://french.typeit.org/ Here is my code: package vn.nvanhuong.practice; import java.util.regex.Matcher; import java.util...

Using Drools to Dynamically Manipulate Metadata of JSF Components

The post is just an approach to change metadata (e.g maxlength, required, etc) of JSF components (e.g. inputText, selectOneMenue, etc) by Drools. Project structure Tools being used Java version 1.8.0_131 Apache Maven 3.5.0 Apache Tomcat 8.0.16 Don't forget to configure your confidential information on  these following files: pom.xml, settings.xml (Maven) and tomcat-users.xml (Tomcat). For example: Source code https://github.com/vnnvanhuong/java_lab/tree/master/jsfdrools