Skip to main content

Agile Tour Vietnam 2015 in HCMC

I had a chance to join this event today. It was great!
Agile Tour Vietnam 2015 in HCMC


For who don’t know Agile Tour, the following is the basic information from http://at2015.agiletour.org/
“Agile Tour has been a way for enthusiasts of Agile to spread the word about Agile practices and to share their experiences, both good and bad, within their local community. These non-profit events occur every year in October and November in several cities.”
Many valuable topics were shared to the community. The topic I like best is “Software Craftsmanship” from Mr. Sandro Mancuso. “Software craftsmanship” is an approach to software development that emphasizes the coding skills of the software developers themselves (wikipedia). I would like to share with you my notes about it:
  • Agile is actually “a quick feedback loop”. For example, we review the user stories after 2 weeks, we will get feedback; we apply TDD, we will  get feedback immediately, etc.
  • Scrum, a Agile framework, is one main stream of Agile’s framework had a big issue that is technical debt. This is a reason why we should apply XP Practices such as TDD, Pair Programming, Automated Test, etc,… in order to improve the quality of products.
  • “If you want to go fast, you need to go well”. The reason is that we maybe build the project fast at the beginning if we don’t care too much about the quality of code, structure of project, technical, etc. And then, we will be slow down later on when project is bigger. Because we did not do well before and a lot of bugs occur.
  • “Building the right thing right”, that means Agile is somehow the “right thing” and we should build it right. According to that statement, we have the manifesto for Software Craftsmanship that is extended from Agile manifesto:
    • Not only working software but also well-craft software.
    • Not only responding to change but also steadily adding value.
    • Not only individual and interaction but also community of professional.
    • Not only customer collaboration but also productive partnership.
    • Best practices ever: continuous improvements and finding a better way than the old one.

Here is some pictures were take from this event.
Software Craftsmanship – Sando Mancuso

Behaviour Driven Development topic and my note book

The Pillars of remote team management – Lisette Sutherland

Conflict in team is a matter of choice – Michael Bertrand

I and my colleagues at Agile Tour 2015 HCMC

Thank you! See you on next events.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Multiple Inheritance of State and Implementation

Today, I was just curious about why an enum can not extend anything else. I took a look on the Oracle document here , and I found the answer is below: "All enums implicitly extend java.lang.Enum. Because a class can only extend one parent (see Declaring Classes), the Java language does not support multiple inheritance of state (see Multiple Inheritance of State, Implementation, and Type), and therefore an enum cannot extend anything else." I have been learned of it before. But, wait a sec...! Why Java does not support multiple inheritance of state? Since I have worked with other programming languages like C++, I was able to make a class extend some other classes. The short answer is to avoid the issues of multiple inheritance of state .  I wonder if other programming languages have these below terms but Java does. Multiple inheritance of state It is the ability to inherit fields from multiple classes. There is a problem and Java avoids it. "For exa...

4 Remarkable Notes for JSF Apps Using HTML5

In the previous post , I've already shared with you how my team consults clients by using a HTML prototype. This post is about the used technologies for reusing the provided HTML template and communicating with backend. What is the issue when using HTML elements with Primefaces components? Primefaces is a great extension for developing JSF web apps. However, it is really frustrating in case we have to make it work with an existing HTML template. Why? - Primefaces has its own theme for styling. - Primefaces changes the HTML structure. Therefore, that would be a huge effort to use the Primefaces' components to replicate the elements of the HTML template; especially it is impossible for images drawing by " canvas " tag. That requires us to find a better approach. Since Java EE 7 (introducing JSF 2.2 included), it supports to use HTML5 elements . The idea is that JSF components don't effect the style and HTML structure, so we can easily reuse the provided HTM...

Monday vhandit #2

  Introduction to OpenLDAP directory service "A directory is a specialized database specially designed for searching and browsing, in addition to supporting basic lookup and update functions" A directory service can be local, providing a restricted context; or global, providing service to a much broader context. Curlie is a good example of a directory service. LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) is a protocol for accessing directory services , specifically X.500-based directory services. OpenLDAP is an open-source implementation of LDAP. Writing system software: code comments I have read Clean Code (by Uncle Bob) and I thought that I should void comments since the code it explains its implementation itself. That is right but not always true. In this post, the author categorized the comments into 9 types. Only "trivial comments" and "backup comments" are the ones that should be avoided. I myself agree with "writing good comments is harder tha...

Regex - Check a text without special characters but German, French

Special characters such as square brackets ([ ]) can cause an exception " java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException " or something like this if we don't handle them correctly. I had met this issue. In my case, my customers want our application should allow some characters in German and French even not allow some special characters. The solution is that we limit the allowed characters by showing the validation message on GUI. For an instance, the message looks like the following: "This field can't contain any special characters; only letters, numbers, underscores (_), spaces and single quotes (') are allowed." I used Regular Expression to check it. For entering Germany and French, I actually don't have this type of keyboard, so I referred these sites: * German characters: http://german.typeit.org/ * French characters: http://french.typeit.org/ Here is my code: package vn.nvanhuong.practice; import java.util.regex.Matcher; import java.util...

Performance of a Data Structure

Why data structures matter The fact is that programs are all about processing data. Data structures are referred to how data is organized which affects the time of executing a program. How to measure the performance of a data structure In order to measure "how fast"/efficiency/performance of a data structure, we measure the performance of its operations. There are four basic operations including reading , searching , insertion , and deletion . A pure time consuming is not used for the measuring because it is not reliable depending on the hardware that it is run on. But instead, we use the term time complexity which refers to how many steps an operation takes. An example of how a single rule can affect efficiency Let's compare two data structures: Array and Set (with N elements). 1. Array - Reading : 1 step (because the computer has the ability to jump to any particular index in the array) - Searching : N steps (the worst case with linear search) - Inserti...