Skip to main content

A theme for productivity at work

Simplifying the To-Do List

I have started to simplify how I manage tasks by using journaling as my tool. It's just one page, and all I need to do is write down what I need to do each day. This page will be archived weekly, and no personal kanban is needed anymore. I feel that this approach is sufficient for the job.

Focus Mode

I rarely get any notifications during the week.

- I use macOS Focus Mode "Mindfulness" as my default.

- I uninstall desktop apps that make noise, such as Slack, Outlook, Teams, and Messenger. Instead, I use the web in my browser.

- I use Flow as my Pomodoro app.

- I use macOS Shortcuts to define most of the tasks I do at work.

Keeping in Mind...

When I was too engaged in work, it was easy to get exhausted. There are two things that I should always keep in mind to avoid burnout:

- Always save time for adapting to changes.

- Do not expect too much from outsiders.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My must-have apps for daily work

There is no doubt that cool apps can help us be more productive and enjoyable at work. For the time being, I really love the following apps which are used by me almost every day. 1. A personal Kanban In fact, a personal kanban is the most useful app for me. Why does it matter? It is not just a to-do list, but it keeps me motivated every day because it helps me be able to know what my "big picture" is. I usually set up my plans together with a path to reach them.  KanbanFlow  is my preferred tool. KanbanFlow 2. A terminal Needless to say, a terminal is a must-have app for every developer, especially the ones use macOS/Linux. Due to its importance, I love to decorate and enhance it to be super exciting with various tools such as  iTerm ,  oh-my- zsh , and  thefuck . ;) iTerm + oh-my-zsh 3. A documentation "ecosystem" As a developer, I can not remember all things that I have experimented a day. Moreover, a document is really useful for sharing an...

Selenium - Override javascript functions to ignore downloading process

I have got an issue with downloading process on IE 8. This browser blocks my automatic-download functionality on my app so that I could not work with my test case any more after that. In my case, I didn't care about the file is downloaded or not, I just focus on the result after downloading process finished successfully. Therefore, I found a solution to ignore this process so that I can work normally. I use Primefaces, here is the remote command to trigger the download process <p:remoteCommand name="cmdGenerateDocument" actionListener="#{logic.onGenerateDocument}" update="xrflDocumentCreationPanel" oncomplete="clickDownloadButton();"/> The following is my test case: @Test public void shouldUpdateStep6ToWarningIfStep1IsValidAfterFinished(){ MainPage mainPage = new MainPage(); waitForLoading(mainPage.getDriver()); EmployeeDetailPage empDetailPage = new EmployeeDetailPage(); waitForLoading(empDetailPage.getDriver()); e...

My 2017 Review

Passion for System Design After finishing a one year project, my longest stable team (lasted for 3 years) was separated into two smaller teams. Sadly, but that was a good chance for me to become a key member in my new team. My preferred skills were about system architectures; therefore most of the tasks of building the application structures were handled by me. In order to enhance my design system skills, I have spent much my time for reading books closely after work. These following books help me a lot. - Object-Oriented Thought Process | Matt Weisfeld - Head First Design Pattern  | Elisabeth Freeman and Kathy Sierra - Java 8 in Action: Lambdas, Streams, and Functional-style Programming | Alan Mycroft and Mario Fusco Junior Technical Architect I was requested to join a technical architect team (aka Team. Alpha) where I actually had gained experiences almost on interviewing candidates for my company (lol). Besides, I noticed myself must improve the skills of convinci...

Tip for resolving the compile errors when importing a Maven project in Eclipse

Sometimes, I import a existing Maven project into Eclipse and I get some compile errors related to "pom.xml", "facet version of Web", and  so on. It was really frustrating me because I even cleaned, built and updated the project many times but the errors still occurred. I accidentally found the following steps to resolve this issue but honestly I still don't know why. Step 1 : Delete the project that met the compile errors in Eclipse, but don't delete it on disk. Step 2 : Open the project (by Windows Explorer if you use Windows) and remove  file/folder ".classpath", ".settings" and ".project" . Step 3 : Import the project back into Eclipse. ---^0^--- Maven is a build automation tool used primarily for Java projects. Eclipse is an integrated development environment (IDE).