Skip to main content

The Evolution of Team Collaboration




In my point of view, if a team has a good collaboration, team members will achieve the following:
  • To be more effective
  • To make work more enjoyable
I have been working for a company for nearly four years as an software developer. Working on various projects from maintaining existing systems to developing a substantial product resulted in me moving to new teams three times. Actually, my most stable team lasted only around three years. 

Every time I've moved to a new team, I have a chance to work with new members and a new team culture again. Indeed, I realize that there is a process of developing the team collaboration which gets better time by time. I think it is an evolution!

Phase 1: Poorly collaborate

For example, that is when the team members have the following issues:
  • Only work on his/her area of expertise
  • Don't communicate to others
  • Be not confident to take on new challages
  • Don't listen to other members.

Subsequently, the team has some Failed Sprints and the knowledge gap between the members is increased.

Phase 2: Cover each other

As a result, the team would have a lesson learned! In Scrum, we have the Restropective Meeting where the team members can figure out what are the issues. 


Now, the team members have to learn how to collaborate. Each member becomes willing to support the others when being asked. Moreover, each member actively "takes care" of the others even he/she is not asked. 

For example, there are two members working on a User Story. If a member find a missing requirement or a potential bug of the other partner, he/she will proactively contact to the partner and then solve these issues together. 

Phase 3: Be self-organized

The team has already collaborated well is good but not enough. How about if their Scrum Master/PO is off? How about if tallented and strong members leave the team? And, so on. That is when the team should be self-organized. Each member should achieve the following attributes:
  • Be able to work as a leader.
  • Be knowledgeable, courageous and autonomous.
  • Have team goal rather than personal goal in mindset.
  • Trust each other blindly and respect is in the DNA of each team member. [1]

What I mean when I did highlight these words: trust and respect is that we should try avoid the conflicts among a lot of strong members. Am I right?

In the end

Hope you enjoyed the videos! :)

I think we should consider to include one criteria "team collaboration" when setting up the team goal in order to build up our stable dream team.

Do you have a self-organizing team? What I am thinking about is a Scrum Master can even lead more than two teams but I am not sure if it is real. 

Post YOUR opinions down below!

-------------
Reference:
[1]. https://www.scrum.org/resources/blog/evolution-development-team

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Junit - Test fails on French or German string assertion

In my previous post about building a regex to check a text without special characters but allow German and French . I met a problem that the unit test works fine on my machine using Eclipse, but it was fail when running on Jenkins' build job. Here is my test: @Test public void shouldAllowFrenchAndGermanCharacters(){ String source = "ÄäÖöÜüß áÁàÀâÂéÉèÈêÊîÎçÇ"; assertFalse(SpecialCharactersUtils.isExistSpecialCharater(source)); } Production code: public static boolean isExistNotAllowedCharacters(String source){ Pattern regex = Pattern.compile("^[a-zA-Z_0-9_ÄäÖöÜüß áÁàÀâÂéÉèÈêÊîÎçÇ]*$"); Matcher matcher = regex.matcher(source); return !matcher.matches(); } The result likes the following: Failed tests: SpecialCharactersUtilsTest.shouldAllowFrenchAndGermanCharacters:32 null A guy from stackoverflow.com says: "This is probably due to the default encoding used for your Java source files. The ö in the string literal in the J...

Performance of a Data Structure

Why data structures matter The fact is that programs are all about processing data. Data structures are referred to how data is organized which affects the time of executing a program. How to measure the performance of a data structure In order to measure "how fast"/efficiency/performance of a data structure, we measure the performance of its operations. There are four basic operations including reading , searching , insertion , and deletion . A pure time consuming is not used for the measuring because it is not reliable depending on the hardware that it is run on. But instead, we use the term time complexity which refers to how many steps an operation takes. An example of how a single rule can affect efficiency Let's compare two data structures: Array and Set (with N elements). 1. Array - Reading : 1 step (because the computer has the ability to jump to any particular index in the array) - Searching : N steps (the worst case with linear search) - Inserti...

My must-have apps for daily work

There is no doubt that cool apps can help us be more productive and enjoyable at work. For the time being, I really love the following apps which are used by me almost every day. 1. A personal Kanban In fact, a personal kanban is the most useful app for me. Why does it matter? It is not just a to-do list, but it keeps me motivated every day because it helps me be able to know what my "big picture" is. I usually set up my plans together with a path to reach them.  KanbanFlow  is my preferred tool. KanbanFlow 2. A terminal Needless to say, a terminal is a must-have app for every developer, especially the ones use macOS/Linux. Due to its importance, I love to decorate and enhance it to be super exciting with various tools such as  iTerm ,  oh-my- zsh , and  thefuck . ;) iTerm + oh-my-zsh 3. A documentation "ecosystem" As a developer, I can not remember all things that I have experimented a day. Moreover, a document is really useful for sharing an...

4 Remarkable Notes for JSF Apps Using HTML5

In the previous post , I've already shared with you how my team consults clients by using a HTML prototype. This post is about the used technologies for reusing the provided HTML template and communicating with backend. What is the issue when using HTML elements with Primefaces components? Primefaces is a great extension for developing JSF web apps. However, it is really frustrating in case we have to make it work with an existing HTML template. Why? - Primefaces has its own theme for styling. - Primefaces changes the HTML structure. Therefore, that would be a huge effort to use the Primefaces' components to replicate the elements of the HTML template; especially it is impossible for images drawing by " canvas " tag. That requires us to find a better approach. Since Java EE 7 (introducing JSF 2.2 included), it supports to use HTML5 elements . The idea is that JSF components don't effect the style and HTML structure, so we can easily reuse the provided HTM...