Skip to main content

Looking back on my 2021


As of this writing, the COVID-19 pandemic still persists. In Vietnam, people have just passed a horrible time of lockdown, we needed to stay at home for nearly 4 months. I have even got covid infected and spent a quarantine time for more than three weeks.

My balcony garden

More books read

This year, I read 22 books of various kinds. Reading books becomes my habit.

English books

  1. Grokking Algorithms: An Illustrated Guide for Programmers and Other Curious People
  2. The Phoenix Project: A Novel about IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
  3. Leaders Eat Last: Why Some Teams Pull Together and Others Don't
  4. The Tao of Microservices
  5. Software Architecture for Developers: Volume 2

Vietnamese books

  1. Nhân tố Enzyme 
  2. Nếu biết trăm năm là hữu hạn
  3. Đạo giáo
  4. Tâm Thành và Lộc Đời
  5. Lịch sử tư tưởng Nhật Bản
  6. Totto-chan bên cửa sổ
  7. Thiền sư và em bé 5 tuổi
  8. Swiss Made
  9. Suối Nguồn
  10. Hạnh Phúc và May Mắn
  11. Một đời quản trị
  12. Con chó nhỏ mang giỏi hoa hồng
  13. Cách nuôi dạy những đứa trẻ dễ cáu giận, khó bảo
  14. Muôn kiếp nhân sinh
  15. Fear: Trump Ở Nhà Trắng
  16. Dấu chân trên cát
  17. Biết chính mình

Tech Lead at UMB Solution (ubitec)

Tech Lead was my official job title at ubitec. I have worked closely with two teams (7 developers in total) for developing two products ubichat and ubibot. My responsibilities were divided into three following roles:

- Software engineer: joined teams to implement/solve several challenging problems

- Technical consultant: for developers, Product Owners, Product Managers, and customers.

- Mentor: grew the teams in both technical skills and soft skills

Mental care

In my spare time, I enjoyed reading books and watching videos. I have been doing "meditation" in ... every moment in my life (no kidding 😊)

The following was my favorite 2021 Youtube channels:

- The Quoc Khanh Show Premium (TQKS Premium)

- Bar stories - Dustin On The Go

- Johnny Trí Nguyễn

Making life easier

This was a tough year due to COVID, however fortunately I could get my car driving license and buy a new house.

---

Happy new year, 2022!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Junit - Test fails on French or German string assertion

In my previous post about building a regex to check a text without special characters but allow German and French . I met a problem that the unit test works fine on my machine using Eclipse, but it was fail when running on Jenkins' build job. Here is my test: @Test public void shouldAllowFrenchAndGermanCharacters(){ String source = "ÄäÖöÜüß áÁàÀâÂéÉèÈêÊîÎçÇ"; assertFalse(SpecialCharactersUtils.isExistSpecialCharater(source)); } Production code: public static boolean isExistNotAllowedCharacters(String source){ Pattern regex = Pattern.compile("^[a-zA-Z_0-9_ÄäÖöÜüß áÁàÀâÂéÉèÈêÊîÎçÇ]*$"); Matcher matcher = regex.matcher(source); return !matcher.matches(); } The result likes the following: Failed tests: SpecialCharactersUtilsTest.shouldAllowFrenchAndGermanCharacters:32 null A guy from stackoverflow.com says: "This is probably due to the default encoding used for your Java source files. The ö in the string literal in the J...

4 Remarkable Notes for JSF Apps Using HTML5

In the previous post , I've already shared with you how my team consults clients by using a HTML prototype. This post is about the used technologies for reusing the provided HTML template and communicating with backend. What is the issue when using HTML elements with Primefaces components? Primefaces is a great extension for developing JSF web apps. However, it is really frustrating in case we have to make it work with an existing HTML template. Why? - Primefaces has its own theme for styling. - Primefaces changes the HTML structure. Therefore, that would be a huge effort to use the Primefaces' components to replicate the elements of the HTML template; especially it is impossible for images drawing by " canvas " tag. That requires us to find a better approach. Since Java EE 7 (introducing JSF 2.2 included), it supports to use HTML5 elements . The idea is that JSF components don't effect the style and HTML structure, so we can easily reuse the provided HTM...

My must-have apps for daily work

There is no doubt that cool apps can help us be more productive and enjoyable at work. For the time being, I really love the following apps which are used by me almost every day. 1. A personal Kanban In fact, a personal kanban is the most useful app for me. Why does it matter? It is not just a to-do list, but it keeps me motivated every day because it helps me be able to know what my "big picture" is. I usually set up my plans together with a path to reach them.  KanbanFlow  is my preferred tool. KanbanFlow 2. A terminal Needless to say, a terminal is a must-have app for every developer, especially the ones use macOS/Linux. Due to its importance, I love to decorate and enhance it to be super exciting with various tools such as  iTerm ,  oh-my- zsh , and  thefuck . ;) iTerm + oh-my-zsh 3. A documentation "ecosystem" As a developer, I can not remember all things that I have experimented a day. Moreover, a document is really useful for sharing an...

BarcampSaigon 2015

Barcamp Saigon is one of my most expected events of the year. This year, it took place at RMIT university. As usual, it brought many useful topics to the community. Here is all topics that I have attended. Scale it! - Lars Jankowfsky Lars is founder of 8bitrockr.com How do we make a decision correctly? It is hard to know that until we try and measure it. He gave an example about how good an app was. And, most of people thought that the app with nice user interfaces is good at the first look. But it is not correct because it is only true until we try to use it, even the nice GUI app sometime is not good at UX, functionalities, etc. The key of success for working in team is collaboration. We can not only base on the experience of members likes: "In my opinions| As I know.... this is the best way..bla..bla.." but we should test it. Therefore, manually testing as well as automation testing is more and more necessary nowadays. "Don't think, just try...

Coding Exercise, Episode 1

I have received the following exercise from an interviewer, he didn't give the name of the problem. Honestly, I have no idea how to solve this problem even I have tried to read it three times before. Since I used to be a person who always tells myself "I am not the one good at algorithms", but giving up something too soon which I feel that I didn't spend enough effort to overcome is not my way. Then, I have sticked on it for 24 hours. According to the given image on the problem, I tried to get more clues by searching. Thanks to Google, I found a similar problem on Hackerrank (attached link below). My target here was trying my best to just understand the problem and was trying to solve it accordingly by the Editorial on Hackerrank. Due to this circumstance, it turns me to love solving algorithms from now on (laugh). Check it out! Problem You are given a very organized square of size N (1-based index) and a list of S commands The i th command will follow t...