Skip to main content

Looking back on my 2021


As of this writing, the COVID-19 pandemic still persists. In Vietnam, people have just passed a horrible time of lockdown, we needed to stay at home for nearly 4 months. I have even got covid infected and spent a quarantine time for more than three weeks.

My balcony garden

More books read

This year, I read 22 books of various kinds. Reading books becomes my habit.

English books

  1. Grokking Algorithms: An Illustrated Guide for Programmers and Other Curious People
  2. The Phoenix Project: A Novel about IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
  3. Leaders Eat Last: Why Some Teams Pull Together and Others Don't
  4. The Tao of Microservices
  5. Software Architecture for Developers: Volume 2

Vietnamese books

  1. Nhân tố Enzyme 
  2. Nếu biết trăm năm là hữu hạn
  3. Đạo giáo
  4. Tâm Thành và Lộc Đời
  5. Lịch sử tư tưởng Nhật Bản
  6. Totto-chan bên cửa sổ
  7. Thiền sư và em bé 5 tuổi
  8. Swiss Made
  9. Suối Nguồn
  10. Hạnh Phúc và May Mắn
  11. Một đời quản trị
  12. Con chó nhỏ mang giỏi hoa hồng
  13. Cách nuôi dạy những đứa trẻ dễ cáu giận, khó bảo
  14. Muôn kiếp nhân sinh
  15. Fear: Trump Ở Nhà Trắng
  16. Dấu chân trên cát
  17. Biết chính mình

Tech Lead at UMB Solution (ubitec)

Tech Lead was my official job title at ubitec. I have worked closely with two teams (7 developers in total) for developing two products ubichat and ubibot. My responsibilities were divided into three following roles:

- Software engineer: joined teams to implement/solve several challenging problems

- Technical consultant: for developers, Product Owners, Product Managers, and customers.

- Mentor: grew the teams in both technical skills and soft skills

Mental care

In my spare time, I enjoyed reading books and watching videos. I have been doing "meditation" in ... every moment in my life (no kidding 😊)

The following was my favorite 2021 Youtube channels:

- The Quoc Khanh Show Premium (TQKS Premium)

- Bar stories - Dustin On The Go

- Johnny Trí Nguyễn

Making life easier

This was a tough year due to COVID, however fortunately I could get my car driving license and buy a new house.

---

Happy new year, 2022!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Projects Ownership

Developers should be informed transparently about the next things that they are going to do since it impacts their mentality as well as their accountabilities. A view of Vung Tau beach First thing first, the Product Owner plays a very important role in understanding the business of the projects clearly and planning the User Stories for Development Teams. For Development Teams, we have two roles related to a project including Owner and Maintainer. The following are the definition and responsibilities for each role: Project Owner The Owner is normally assigned to the team that created the project at the beginning. It is known as the long-term project of the team. Therefore, the members of the Owner have almost knowledge of the projects including the history (i.e decisions made), business logic, and technologies used.  - Maintain a good system design (code) of the projects. Therefore, they are mandatory to review code (pull requests) from other teams. - Maintain the related documents ...

Building Axon.ivy Projects on Bitbucket Pipelines

Read me  if you don't know what Axon.ivy (Ivy) is. Motivation -  Ivy projects are designed to be built on a continuous integration (CI) server like Jenkins - Today, Bitbucket supports for CI with Bitbucket Pipelines - We're using Bitbucket. Then, why not? It must be very cool and convenient for us if we can centralize our CI and VCS (version control system) tools in one place. Here is an approach We have to use a maven plugin called project-build-plugin  to build ivy projects. This plugin requires an instance of Ivy engine during building time. Bitbucket Pipelines allows us to specify our own docker image as a build environment. What we need to do  is to prepare our docker image with needed stuffs such as JDK, Maven, Ivy engine, etc. Step 1. Prepare Docker images For testing purpose, I already created two docker images: Maven and Axon.ivy engine. They are now available on Docker Hub This image for Maven using Oracle JDK 8 This image for Axon.iv...

My must-have apps for daily work

There is no doubt that cool apps can help us be more productive and enjoyable at work. For the time being, I really love the following apps which are used by me almost every day. 1. A personal Kanban In fact, a personal kanban is the most useful app for me. Why does it matter? It is not just a to-do list, but it keeps me motivated every day because it helps me be able to know what my "big picture" is. I usually set up my plans together with a path to reach them.  KanbanFlow  is my preferred tool. KanbanFlow 2. A terminal Needless to say, a terminal is a must-have app for every developer, especially the ones use macOS/Linux. Due to its importance, I love to decorate and enhance it to be super exciting with various tools such as  iTerm ,  oh-my- zsh , and  thefuck . ;) iTerm + oh-my-zsh 3. A documentation "ecosystem" As a developer, I can not remember all things that I have experimented a day. Moreover, a document is really useful for sharing an...

Tip for resolving the compile errors when importing a Maven project in Eclipse

Sometimes, I import a existing Maven project into Eclipse and I get some compile errors related to "pom.xml", "facet version of Web", and  so on. It was really frustrating me because I even cleaned, built and updated the project many times but the errors still occurred. I accidentally found the following steps to resolve this issue but honestly I still don't know why. Step 1 : Delete the project that met the compile errors in Eclipse, but don't delete it on disk. Step 2 : Open the project (by Windows Explorer if you use Windows) and remove  file/folder ".classpath", ".settings" and ".project" . Step 3 : Import the project back into Eclipse. ---^0^--- Maven is a build automation tool used primarily for Java projects. Eclipse is an integrated development environment (IDE).