Skip to main content

Strategy Design Pattern


For example, I have a program with an Animal abstract class and two sub-classes Dog and Bird. I want to add new behavior for the class Animal, this is "fly".  Now, I face two approaches to solve this issue:

1. Adding an abstract method "fly" into the class Animal. Then, I force the sub-classes should be implemented this method, something like:

public abstract class Animal{
 //bla bla
 public abstract void fly();
}

public class Bird extends Animal{
 //bla bla
 public void fly(){
 System.out.println("Fly high");
 }
}

public class Dog extends Animal{
 //bla bla
 public void fly(){
  System.out.println("Cant fly");
 }
}

2. Creating an interface with method "fly" inside. The same issue to an abstract class, I force the classes these implement this interface should have a method "fly" inside:

public interface Flyable{
 public void fly();
}
public class Bird implements Flyable{
//bla bla
 public void fly(){
  System.out.println("Fly high");
 }
}

public class Dog implements Flyable{
//bla bla
 public void fly(){
  System.out.println("Cant fly");
 }
}

These approaches are the OOP basics in order to solve the problem when we want to add a new behavior, but there is a disadvantage because all sub-classes are forced to implement this behavior even it doesn't make sense for some classes. And, there is no reused code by using interfaces only.

That is where Strategy Design Pattern can help. The following is an example code:

public interface Flyable{
 public void fly();
}

public class ItFlys implements Flyable{
  public void fly(){
   System.out.println("Fly high");
 }
}

public class CantFly implements Flyable{
  public void fly(){
   System.out.println("Cant fly");
 }
}

public abstract class Animal{
 //bla bla
 Flyable flyType;

 public void tryToFly(){
  flyType.fly();
 }
 public void setFlyAbility(Flyable newFlyType){
  flyType = newFlyType;
 }
}

public class Bird extends Animal{
 //bla bla
 public Bird(){
   flyType = new ItFlys ();
 }
}

public class Dog extends Animal{
 //bla bla
 public Dog (){
   flyType = new CantFly ();
 }
}

This is a diagram that shows the example above:
src: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NCgRD9-C6o&index=3&list=PLF206E906175C7E07

References:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Remarkable Notes for JSF Apps Using HTML5

In the previous post , I've already shared with you how my team consults clients by using a HTML prototype. This post is about the used technologies for reusing the provided HTML template and communicating with backend. What is the issue when using HTML elements with Primefaces components? Primefaces is a great extension for developing JSF web apps. However, it is really frustrating in case we have to make it work with an existing HTML template. Why? - Primefaces has its own theme for styling. - Primefaces changes the HTML structure. Therefore, that would be a huge effort to use the Primefaces' components to replicate the elements of the HTML template; especially it is impossible for images drawing by " canvas " tag. That requires us to find a better approach. Since Java EE 7 (introducing JSF 2.2 included), it supports to use HTML5 elements . The idea is that JSF components don't effect the style and HTML structure, so we can easily reuse the provided HTM...

Multiple Inheritance of State and Implementation

Today, I was just curious about why an enum can not extend anything else. I took a look on the Oracle document here , and I found the answer is below: "All enums implicitly extend java.lang.Enum. Because a class can only extend one parent (see Declaring Classes), the Java language does not support multiple inheritance of state (see Multiple Inheritance of State, Implementation, and Type), and therefore an enum cannot extend anything else." I have been learned of it before. But, wait a sec...! Why Java does not support multiple inheritance of state? Since I have worked with other programming languages like C++, I was able to make a class extend some other classes. The short answer is to avoid the issues of multiple inheritance of state .  I wonder if other programming languages have these below terms but Java does. Multiple inheritance of state It is the ability to inherit fields from multiple classes. There is a problem and Java avoids it. "For exa...

[Snippet] CSS - Child element overlap parent

I searched from somewhere and found that a lot of people says a basic concept for implementing this feature looks like below: HTML code: <div id="parent">  <div id="child">  </div> </div> And, CSS: #parent{   position: relative;   overflow:hidden; } #child{   position: absolute;   top: -1;   right: -1px; } However, I had a lot of grand-parents in my case and the above code didn't work. Therefore, I needed an alternative. I presumed that my app uses Boostrap and AngularJs, maybe some CSS from them affects mine. I didn't know exactly the problem, but I believed when all CSS is loaded into my browser, I could completely handle it. www.tom-collinson.com I tried to create an example to investigated this problem by Fiddle . Accidentally, I just changed: position: parent; to position: static; for one of parents -> the problem is solved. Look at my code: <div class="modal-body dn-placeholder-parent-positi...

Automating deployment and managing apps on OpenShift

Previously, we maintained OpenShift templates for deploying apps in development environments as well as delivering these templates to our customers for their on-prem deployment. Customers who refer to our templates (as well as documentation) have their own configuration management tools to automate the deployment such as ArgoCD and FluxCD. My son's buildings Our developers usually modify templates (YAML) directly on OpenShift for testing and then adjust the corresponding templates stored in the Git repository in Bitbucket. This sometimes causes an issue that delivered templates are incorrect because: - Developers forget to update the templates in Git repositories. - Developers don’t test the templates Therefore, our goal was to integrate a tool into our CI/CD that can automate and manage the configuration of OpenShift apps. The delivered templates should be the ones that are able to run on our OpenShift with the following purposes: - Automate deployment from templated in Git repos...

My must-have apps for daily work

There is no doubt that cool apps can help us be more productive and enjoyable at work. For the time being, I really love the following apps which are used by me almost every day. 1. A personal Kanban In fact, a personal kanban is the most useful app for me. Why does it matter? It is not just a to-do list, but it keeps me motivated every day because it helps me be able to know what my "big picture" is. I usually set up my plans together with a path to reach them.  KanbanFlow  is my preferred tool. KanbanFlow 2. A terminal Needless to say, a terminal is a must-have app for every developer, especially the ones use macOS/Linux. Due to its importance, I love to decorate and enhance it to be super exciting with various tools such as  iTerm ,  oh-my- zsh , and  thefuck . ;) iTerm + oh-my-zsh 3. A documentation "ecosystem" As a developer, I can not remember all things that I have experimented a day. Moreover, a document is really useful for sharing an...