Skip to main content

Resolution for 2016

HCM full stack developer Meetup

This is the topic of HMC full stack developers' meetup this time. We have shared our ideas and discussed about them. Most of discussions is focused on career path for developers in Vietnam and what next we will do in 2016.

I have a problem with my career path in Vietnam. I seem to get lost my motivation because I don't like to become either a manager or a TA (such as Technical Assistant, Technical Analysis, Technical Architect).

But, why only are there either manager or TA in Vietnam? How about a 60-years experiences developer? Salary is actually an issue.

I admire several great developers in the world such as Jeff Atwood (stackoverflow.com founder), John Sonmez (simpleprogrammer.com fouder). They created very great and valuable stuffs for the community and they are free of finance - of course, I think. Why can't I follow that way? I would like to not only create cool stuffs but also get high salary.

I love to become a "many years" developer. Coding is one of my true hobbies so how my job motivates me without coding. If I become a manager even a TA guy, I will not coding on the real projects anymore. It isn't seem to interesting for me.

The answer is somehow "It depends on current countries' software industry. Almost software companies in Vietnam are out-sourcing ones. The salary depends on job titles that means a project manager has higher salary than a developer, for example. Therefore, you want to get a high salary, you should earn a promotion." - said Mr. Quan

English is really a matter of concern for Vietnamese developers. Why a BA (Business Analysis) is often from a QA (Quality Assurance)?

Sometime BAs don't understand developers' job and they give some unreasonable requirements for developers. Because a BA is often a previous QA with good English skills. Currently, most of developers are not good at English. If developers can improve their English skills, they might be more suitable to become BAs than QAs. They, the one, can make the customers requirements be logical and reasonable.

So, what is my 2016 resolution?

I am still fighting to find my real career path, but the following tasks should make sense for me currently:
  1. Going on improving my English skills is always in my first priority. How about IELTS 7.0 certificate?
  2. Learning structural and design best practices such as Refactoring, Design Pattern.
  3. Creating my own pet projects. Pet projects must be an effective way for practising technologies and methodologies.
  4. Networking and connecting by joining the community such as HMC full stack developers, iziEnglish Saigon.
Of course, they are not enough for my life. Always taking care my core relationships and other hobbies.

Happy new year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Junit - Test fails on French or German string assertion

In my previous post about building a regex to check a text without special characters but allow German and French . I met a problem that the unit test works fine on my machine using Eclipse, but it was fail when running on Jenkins' build job. Here is my test: @Test public void shouldAllowFrenchAndGermanCharacters(){ String source = "ÄäÖöÜüß áÁàÀâÂéÉèÈêÊîÎçÇ"; assertFalse(SpecialCharactersUtils.isExistSpecialCharater(source)); } Production code: public static boolean isExistNotAllowedCharacters(String source){ Pattern regex = Pattern.compile("^[a-zA-Z_0-9_ÄäÖöÜüß áÁàÀâÂéÉèÈêÊîÎçÇ]*$"); Matcher matcher = regex.matcher(source); return !matcher.matches(); } The result likes the following: Failed tests: SpecialCharactersUtilsTest.shouldAllowFrenchAndGermanCharacters:32 null A guy from stackoverflow.com says: "This is probably due to the default encoding used for your Java source files. The ö in the string literal in the J...

My must-have apps for daily work

There is no doubt that cool apps can help us be more productive and enjoyable at work. For the time being, I really love the following apps which are used by me almost every day. 1. A personal Kanban In fact, a personal kanban is the most useful app for me. Why does it matter? It is not just a to-do list, but it keeps me motivated every day because it helps me be able to know what my "big picture" is. I usually set up my plans together with a path to reach them.  KanbanFlow  is my preferred tool. KanbanFlow 2. A terminal Needless to say, a terminal is a must-have app for every developer, especially the ones use macOS/Linux. Due to its importance, I love to decorate and enhance it to be super exciting with various tools such as  iTerm ,  oh-my- zsh , and  thefuck . ;) iTerm + oh-my-zsh 3. A documentation "ecosystem" As a developer, I can not remember all things that I have experimented a day. Moreover, a document is really useful for sharing an...

Performance of a Data Structure

Why data structures matter The fact is that programs are all about processing data. Data structures are referred to how data is organized which affects the time of executing a program. How to measure the performance of a data structure In order to measure "how fast"/efficiency/performance of a data structure, we measure the performance of its operations. There are four basic operations including reading , searching , insertion , and deletion . A pure time consuming is not used for the measuring because it is not reliable depending on the hardware that it is run on. But instead, we use the term time complexity which refers to how many steps an operation takes. An example of how a single rule can affect efficiency Let's compare two data structures: Array and Set (with N elements). 1. Array - Reading : 1 step (because the computer has the ability to jump to any particular index in the array) - Searching : N steps (the worst case with linear search) - Inserti...

4 Remarkable Notes for JSF Apps Using HTML5

In the previous post , I've already shared with you how my team consults clients by using a HTML prototype. This post is about the used technologies for reusing the provided HTML template and communicating with backend. What is the issue when using HTML elements with Primefaces components? Primefaces is a great extension for developing JSF web apps. However, it is really frustrating in case we have to make it work with an existing HTML template. Why? - Primefaces has its own theme for styling. - Primefaces changes the HTML structure. Therefore, that would be a huge effort to use the Primefaces' components to replicate the elements of the HTML template; especially it is impossible for images drawing by " canvas " tag. That requires us to find a better approach. Since Java EE 7 (introducing JSF 2.2 included), it supports to use HTML5 elements . The idea is that JSF components don't effect the style and HTML structure, so we can easily reuse the provided HTM...

Monday vhandit #2

  Introduction to OpenLDAP directory service "A directory is a specialized database specially designed for searching and browsing, in addition to supporting basic lookup and update functions" A directory service can be local, providing a restricted context; or global, providing service to a much broader context. Curlie is a good example of a directory service. LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) is a protocol for accessing directory services , specifically X.500-based directory services. OpenLDAP is an open-source implementation of LDAP. Writing system software: code comments I have read Clean Code (by Uncle Bob) and I thought that I should void comments since the code it explains its implementation itself. That is right but not always true. In this post, the author categorized the comments into 9 types. Only "trivial comments" and "backup comments" are the ones that should be avoided. I myself agree with "writing good comments is harder tha...